Everything as service (b171)

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
goddert

Everything as service (b171)

Post by goddert »

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is an issue or a feature. It's a bit long to explain so please be patient.
OS is XPSP3

Currently I'm using Everything with a non-administrator account. Therefore I have to start it with apps like cpau or runas /profile:administrator on startup or inside the command of the shell context extension. I hoped to bypass this problem using Everything as service but ... no :)
When I run Everything as service being logged in as normal user and using the shell context extension with "Everything ... -filename %1" (default) obviously it can't parse no drive because it's not running as admin (although I hoped the service would resolve this problem). On the other hand if I run the shell context extension with "runas /profile:administrator ... Everything ... -filename %1" Everything creates a second (third ...) instance of itself (yes, multiple instances disabled) and parses correctly the drives. Fine except for the fact it creates multiple instances which disturbs a bit.

Currently my workaround is to start Everything on boot (HKLM registry) with "runas /profile:administrator ... Everything -startup" and substitute the shell context extension command in (HKCR registry) with "runas /profile:administrator ... Everything - filename %1". This way all works fine but for obvious reasons it's not the preferred solution. Is there any solution for this problem in one of the next releases?

Thanks in advance
Goddert

PS: Thanks for a great application
PPS. The bug with the superfuous '"' in the shell context extension commands still exists in build 171.
goddert

Re: Everything as service (b171)

Post by goddert »

pop
David
Developer

Re: Everything as service (b171)

Post by David »

I am aware of this issue.

I have plans to make only the service require administrative privileges for a future release of "Everything".

Edit:
Here is a standalone, non administrator app that will pass the command line options to the "Everything" service:
http://www.voidtools.com/Everything_SendCommandLine.zip
Source included.