In C:\Windows\System32\ folders are found, but files are not

If you are experiencing problems with "Everything", post here for assistance.
gnomon

In C:\Windows\System32\ folders are found, but files are not

Post by gnomon »

Within Everything v1.2.1.371 and within Windows 7 I have met the following problem:

Whereas normally speaking indeed everything is found by Everything (honour to it!), now I have found that files within the Windows system folder ( C:\Windows\System32\ in my case), files are not found (but folders are). I have tested this for several files within the folder, and in no case the file was found.

Everything was installed with elevated, Administrator privileges, run with the same privileges also, and I am operating my system with an Administrator account, too.

I have reviewed the errorlog,txt file within the Everything program folder, and yes, there were some error messages, but these concerned not being able to create USN-journals for removable devices, and I could understand that.

Now, looking within the Security tab of any file in the Systems32 folder (including notepad.exe, see beneath), I have seen that there are only Read and Read and execute authorizations for both the SYSTEM and the Administrator group. Maybe this fact has something to do with this problem?

In the Missing files section of the Troubleshooting page at the Everything WIKI (http://support.voidtools.com/everything/Troubleshooting), I have read something regarding hard links, c:\windows\notepad.exe and c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe, so a file within the folder concerned here. It is noted that c:\windows\notepad.exe is a hard link to c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe, "Everything" will not include hard links, and therefore c:\windows\notepad.exe will not show in Everything.

But in my case this latter file is shown in Everything indeed, presumably because of the fact that. as far as I can see, at my system this file is not a hard copy to c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe, but a real, "physical", file, and for that reason, this file lives in both folders. So, I guess this hard link issue has nothing to with the question concerned here, for one might think towards that direction.

Thanks for advice in advance.

gnomon
therube

Re: In C:\Windows\System32\ folders are found, but files are not

Post by therube »

What file is it?
So, I guess this hard link issue has nothing to with the question concerned here
And I'm thinking precisely the opposite.

See A file not indexed for some reason & http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?p=3289#p3289.
gnomon

Re: In C:\Windows\System32\ folders are found, but files are not

Post by gnomon »

@therube:

Well, I have loosely read the two articles from the links you have given and now I believe I understand what is the problem here.

On the ground of the articles I have downloaded and installed the Link Shell Extension, after having installed its prerequisite MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ 2005 RUNTIME LIBRARIES. All of that interesting stuff, by the way...

It turns out that, e.g., the file notepad.exe in my C:\Windows folder is a hard link indeed. I just did not know it could hardly to not be determined whether that is the case if this shell extension has not been installed at the system; I just thought that if this was not stated by Windows in a way, in the file properties or the file's icon for instance, this was simply not the case. Now, with the extension installed, it can be seen at a glance, by looking at the file icon's red arrow, that a hard link is concerned.

But it still remains that Everything's documentation is stating that hard links will not be shown, but, in the case of the aforementioned file at my system - turning out to be a hard link -, that file is shown though. And also, I have investigated that now, none of Everything's results for notepad.exe, 71 instances to be precise, is the original file "notepad.exe", not being a hard link. So, I believe, this original file still has not been found by Everything.

For that reason, I have looked for the original file with Windows search ( :( ), and, as expected, no, it was not found there also. Yet, referring to the given article:
The WinSxS folder is the only location that the component is found on the system, all other instances of the files that you see on the system are “projected” by hard linking from the component store. Let me repeat that last point – there is only one instance (or full data copy) of each version of each file in the OS, and that instance is located in the WinSxS folder.
but now it appears that this instance in the WinSxS folder could not be found - neither by Windows search, nor by Everything.

gnomon