ability to search for encrypted files (compressed files)

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
malis2007

ability to search for encrypted files (compressed files)

Post by malis2007 »

Hello there! :)
this tool is irreplaceable to me and is one of the fundamental tools i download after a fresh install
Thank you for creating it! <3

would it be possible to search only for encrypted(password protected) files?
some of us used to protect private/confidential data in a password protected compressed file (.zip, .rar, .7z) but forget about it entirely with time(forget its name or its location) :roll:
could such files be listed or searched using a certain keyword? :oops:
it would be nice for such a feature to be added.. as not many softwares out there have such ability and almost all aren't for free.

Thanks again for this awesome tool.
Last edited by malis2007 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
void
Developer

Re: ability to search for encrypted files (compressed files)

Post by void »

Thanks for your feedback.

I've added to my TODO list: add a search function to find compressed achives that are password protected and add a column to show this information.

Thanks for the suggestion.
malis2007

Post by malis2007 »

Thanks alot, i can't wait for it to be added :p
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

A 30 second Google search brought up Find Password Protected ZIP Files - program to search for encrypted zip files
This small free program is designed to search for encrypted ZIP archives on a computer or laptop.
Tested it : OK. (although it reported 1 false positive). Simple, straightforward interface.
malis2007

Post by malis2007 »

NotNull wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:46 pm A 30 second Google search brought up Find Password Protected ZIP Files - program to search for encrypted zip files
This small free program is designed to search for encrypted ZIP archives on a computer or laptop.
Tested it : OK. (although it reported 1 false positive). Simple, straightforward interface.
this tool is great :)
but sadly, it finds only encrypted zip archives (doesn't find encrypted rar, 7z..etc)
Thanks for the suggestion :)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

You're welcome!
Too bad it didn't work out for you ...

But ...
30 Google seconds later: Passware Encryption Analyzer
Passware Encryption Analyzer is a free tool that scans a system to detect protected or encrypted documents, archives, and other types of files. This application provides detailed information about any protected items found, including protection methods and encryption types.
That one certainly does what you want (and a whole lot more).
Downloaded it, but couldn't dissect it to test it (I don't do "normal" installations). Probably a bad download.

Anyway, this one looks very promising :)

(BTW: doubt if it is feasible to embed all this functionality in Everything; might be a little too much ..)
therube

Post by therube »

(Pft. Doesn't look like it handles ARJ files.)
malis2007

Post by malis2007 »

NotNull wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:38 pm You're welcome!
Too bad it didn't work out for you ...

But ...
30 Google seconds later: Passware Encryption Analyzer
Passware Encryption Analyzer is a free tool that scans a system to detect protected or encrypted documents, archives, and other types of files. This application provides detailed information about any protected items found, including protection methods and encryption types.
That one certainly does what you want (and a whole lot more).
Downloaded it, but couldn't dissect it to test it (I don't do "normal" installations). Probably a bad download.

Anyway, this one looks very promising :)

(BTW: doubt if it is feasible to embed all this functionality in Everything; might be a little too much ..)
Thanks!
it did the trick for me, even though it had many false positives and the result log was hard to read without some regex parsing

Thanks again for your help! :)

sidenote: if possible, whether now or in the future please consider adding it :p
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

malis2007 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:06 am it did the trick for me, even though it had many false positives and the result log was hard to read without some regex parsing
In the meantime I managed to get it running. I got an option to save the results in a CSV file (upper right area)
Excel etc. can open and filter that:
2019-08-03 19_28_18-Import-Csv ._PasswareScanLog-2019-08-03-08-42-40.csv_ ogv.png
2019-08-03 19_28_18-Import-Csv ._PasswareScanLog-2019-08-03-08-42-40.csv_ ogv.png (30.43 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
malis2007

Post by malis2007 »

NotNull wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:30 pm
malis2007 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:06 am it did the trick for me, even though it had many false positives and the result log was hard to read without some regex parsing
In the meantime I managed to get it running. I got an option to save the results in a CSV file (upper right area)
Excel etc. can open and filter that:

2019-08-03 19_28_18-Import-Csv ._PasswareScanLog-2019-08-03-08-42-40.csv_ ogv.png
weird, the program i used didn't look like that, and it generated a file with a ".pwjf" extension, didn't know that there was an option for CSV (and even if i did, i don't have excel/didn't know that it belongs to excel)
but it doesn't matter, issue is solved for me and i learned something new from my experience :)
thanks for your help @NotNull