custom command: go to first file/folder in results

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
nod5

custom command: go to first file/folder in results

Post by nod5 »

Feature suggestion: Add a custom command, and customizable keyboard shortcut, to go to (select and scroll to) the first file/folder in the results list.

The shortcut could be a toggle: if the current selection is a folder then then jump to select the first file. And vice versa.

With first file/folder I mean the topmost file of that type (folder or non-folder) in the results list, which in turn depends on what the current Sort By mode is and if the current sort is ascending or descending.

This would be useful when a search yields a larger number of results and the first N result items are folders. We can of course already filter out folders or files by adding "file:" or "folder:" to the search. But the suggested feature would be a neat alternative.
NotNull

Re: custom command: go to first file/folder in results

Post by NotNull »

For now, you could add a shortcut to your filter(s):

- Create a filter Files, like this:
2019-02-21 23_00_38-Everything.png
2019-02-21 23_00_38-Everything.png (20.19 KiB) Viewed 3562 times

Now, when you want to go to the files section, press Ctrl-Alt-Down, activating the Files filter.
A repeated Ctrl-Alt-Down, will reactivate the Everything filter again, giving you the Folders on top.
(you could also create a Ctrl-Alt-Up keyboard shortcut for the Folders filter)

@void: I have a different default filter configured under Options > Home. Preesing Ctrl-Alt-Down twice doesn't give me back that default filter, but the Everything filter instead. Just a FYI (maybe that is by design).
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Feature suggestion: Add a custom command, and customizable keyboard shortcut, to go to (select and scroll to) the first file/folder in the results list.
I'll consider adding a command to do this. If the first file result is already focused, it would jump to the first folder folder result and vise versa.

Currently, you can press the Down arrow key from the search edit to select the first result, or press Home in the Result list to select the first result.
@void: I have a different default filter configured under Options > Home. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-Down twice doesn't give me back that default filter, but the Everything filter instead. Just a FYI (maybe that is by design).
It would make sense for Everything to toggle between the default filter.. added to my TODO list.
nod5

Post by nod5 »

NotNull wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:11 pm For now, you could add a shortcut to your filter(s)
Thanks for that suggestion. It prompted me to make a script that cycles between file filter, folder filter and no filter.

Code: Select all

;AutoHotkey helper keyboard shortcut for Everything for quick filter changes
;2019-02-22
;Press control+alt+down to cycle through these filters
;- show only files
;- show only folders
;- show both files and folders
#NoEnv
#SingleInstance force
#IfWinActive, ahk_exe Everything.exe
^!Down::
ControlGetText, search, Edit1, A
If InStr(search, " file:")
  ControlSetText, Edit1, % StrReplace(search, " file:", " folder:"), A
Else If InStr(search, " folder:")
  ControlSetText, Edit1, % StrReplace(search, " folder:", ""), A
Else
  ControlSetText, Edit1, % search " file:", A
return
#IfWinActive
edit: simplified code
void wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:52 am I'll consider adding a command to do this. If the first file result is already focused, it would jump to the first folder folder result and vise versa.
Thanks, I prefer that to the filtering approach in my script above and in NotNull's suggestion.