Sum of selected file size

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Post Reply
donotbugme
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am

Sum of selected file size

Post by donotbugme » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:03 pm

It would be nice to have the sum of the selected file size in the status bar.

NotNull
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by NotNull » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:43 pm

+1

It's on th todo list for Everything 1.5 (see this thread )

therube
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by therube » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:52 pm

Does it not do this (for you) already?
Both in total, before clicking any of the results, & then also the sum of individual items selected, once you have selected some of the results.

Code: Select all

show_size_in_statusbar=1

NotNull
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by NotNull » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:02 pm

therube wrote:Does it not do this (for you) already?
Both in total, before clicking any of the results, & then also the sum of individual items selected, once you have selected some of the results.

Code: Select all

show_size_in_statusbar=1
Ah. you are right! It's on the right side of the statusbar (I only checked the left side ..)
Thanks!

In that case: -1 :lol:

donotbugme
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by donotbugme » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:10 pm

Thanks!
I had missed that option.
For those who wonder where it is, it is in the menu Tools, Options, General, View, Show size in status bar.

PeterPanino
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:26 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by PeterPanino » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Just now I realized it is already in the status bar, on the far-right.

rudzik23
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by rudzik23 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:19 pm

therube wrote:Does it not do this (for you) already?
Both in total, before clicking any of the results, & then also the sum of individual items selected, once you have selected some of the results.

Code: Select all

show_size_in_statusbar=1
It would be useful to add summation functionality to selected folders.

NotNull
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by NotNull » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:34 pm

rudzik23 wrote: It would be useful to add summation functionality to selected folders.
Do you have folder size indexed? (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes : Enable Index folder size

rudzik23
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by rudzik23 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:02 pm

NotNull wrote:
rudzik23 wrote: It would be useful to add summation functionality to selected folders.
Do you have folder size indexed? (Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes : Enable Index folder size
This option is enabled. The size column displays the size of the folder.
I forced rebuild, but it didn't help.

NotNull
Posts: 917
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by NotNull » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:42 pm

I completely misunderstood your question!
You were talking about selecting multiple folders and showing the sum of sizes of all the selected folders.
Sorry for sending you in the wrong direction ...

Next attempt: :D
I see that same behaviour (no sum of folder sizes) and I *think* that is by design:

If you select - for example - the folders c:\test (100MB) and c:\test\subdir (50MB), it will then report a total size of 150MB, whereas it technically is just 100MB. Things get even more "wrong" when you also select a couple of files (like: c:\test\file.txt (25MB)).
I think calculating the actual total size is hard to do and would cost a lot of computing performance, especially when you select thousands of files and folders.

But that's just my theory ...

rudzik23
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Re: Sum of selected file size

Post by rudzik23 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:45 pm

NotNull wrote:You were talking about selecting multiple folders and showing the sum of sizes of all the selected folders.
Yes, I was :D
NotNull wrote:If you select - for example - the folders c:\test (100MB) and c:\test\subdir (50MB), it will then report a total size of 150MB, whereas it technically is just 100MB. Things get even more "wrong" when you also select a couple of files (like: c:\test\file.txt (25MB)).
I think calculating the actual total size is hard to do and would cost a lot of computing performance, especially when you select thousands of files and folders.

But that's just my theory ...
For me, simply adding up is enough.
Searching for the sum (unique components) for the complexity of the structure of catalogs is not necessary for me.

Simple sum of the size of the catalogs I thought would be useful when I had to add dozens of large numbers.

Post Reply