Content searching: progress indicator

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
NotNull

Content searching: progress indicator

Post by NotNull »

Searching through the content of files can take some time.
During that, it just says "Querying ..." on the status bar.

Suggestion is to show a progress indicator on the status bar; something like "Querying ... (3/41)" or "Querying ... (myfile.pdf)"

(reason for asking: I encountered a corrupt PDF file during this content: search, which caused Everything to wait indefinitely)
Stamimail

Re: Content searching: progress indicator

Post by Stamimail »

The same thing for a complicated search that requires some time.
IMO "Querying ..." needs to be flashing.
But it would be better to have
Querying ... (3/41)
or
Querying ... 98%
void
Developer

Post by void »

I've started work on making Everything add content: results one at a time, so you don't have to wait for all the results to be gathered before displayed.

I'll considering adding more information to the status bar during this time, thanks for the suggestion.

Do you still have that corrupt pdf? Could you please send me a copy? I'll try to improve the error handling in the file content reader in Everything..
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

void wrote: Do you still have that corrupt pdf? Could you please send me a copy? I'll try to improve the error handling in the file content reader in Everything..
I think I do. I'll do some more research (it seems there are more things going wrong) and come back to you.
Thanks for considering this suggestion! (or any variation thereof)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I'll send the PDF to support@voidtools.com as it is a little too big to post here (70+ MB ..)

I'll do some further testing as I had more troubles, but those might be caused by Everything being unstable after the problematic PDF.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Any progress on this?
It's really strange to just wait for long content searches and not knowing if it hanged or is it searching at all..

Simple progress bar with percentage would be great!

But having first results show is event better!! Because sometimes I am OK with first few files it found and then I can stop the search.

Thanks!
void
Developer

Post by void »

A progress bar would be useful, it's on my TODO list.
Thanks for the suggestion.
But having first results show is event better!!
Results will be added as they are found for the next major version of Everything.
I don't have an alpha release date yet, sorry.
johnny

Post by johnny »

Great, thanks!
Just to give you a little more background why this will be welcomed change:
I have 5 disks in my system, backups and stuff, so a lot of files. And a lot of times I need to search for something in txt, xml, doc, docx, xsls,.. so the usual file types. The search always takes long, since I don't know on which disk the files are, what filenames and so on... and a lot of times the first 10 hits with the content search are the ones I'm looking for. And then I would just stop or pause the search, check the files and see if I need to continue the search or I found the needed file. Sometimes the search takes minutes... too slow to be useful.
Now I need to use other tool that do that very good, so I keep switching between Everywhere and UltraSearch. I wish I could just use Everywhere! :)

Please try to make sure that sorting of these files will be available.. meaning, if Date Modified is sorted on, please make sure first hit that gets found, from content search, is the one with last modified. So the first available hits are based on chose sort.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that will find this useful!

Thanks!
johnny

Post by johnny »

I just wanted to point out that the content search and progress bar doesn't look like something a lot of other users want. So, if you haven't started working on these 2 features, I'm revoking my vote, I would like to give the vote to any of the other more requested features.

Stay the best search tool!