Windows 10, Network, & WSD

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
therube

Windows 10, Network, & WSD

Post by therube »

Windows 10, Network, & WSD (sounds like some military operation).

Speaking of networking (from the other post of today) & with my head still in sleep mode, are(n't) MS Windows 10 changes in networking (in using WSD rather then Netbios) going to affect (perhaps just about every application out there, including) us ?

Network not showing:
https://forum.altap.cz/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37393
NotNull

Re: Windows 10, Network, & WSD

Post by NotNull »

therube wrote: [...] are(n't) MS Windows 10 changes in networking (in using WSD rather then Netbios) going to affect (perhaps just about every application out there, including) us ?
with my head still in sleep mode,
Before-your-coffee answer:
You can see WSD as a Plug n' Play for network resources ( like printers, webcams, but also fileshares ).
I think you can compare it a bit with Apple's Bonjour (although I hope WSD will be better than that).
So it's mainly the detection of resources and naming them; resources can be addressed like normal.

These things are all managed by the Windows shell (Explorer). Explorer detects the new devices, talks to them and makes them available to applications like Everything. Everything doesn't need to do anything for that.

So nothing to worry for now. 'Everything' under control. Keep calm and drink your coffee :D

After-your-coffee answer:
This WSD stuff is mainly useful in home environments. In enterprises this will cause a mess: all Windows PC's will try to connect to all available resources that support WSD. Imagine that! In corporate environments you use different 'detection' mechanisms, Like Active Directory.

Beside resource detection, it also has some specific protocols for those resources (printing 'protocol' is slightly different, for example). But I doubt if that would be the case for fileservices; maybe with an exception for 'Internet-fileservices', like cloud storage. But I'm not aware of that.

I get why you are concerned about SMB. It seems to be dependent on NetBIOS, but it is not. You can use SMB on top of a lot of transprort protocols. I don't run SMB with NetBIOS (port 139); just 'raw' SMB over TCP (port 445).