Delay preview

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
frozst

Delay preview

Post by frozst »

Hi all,

I love using Everything, but there is one thing I find quite annoying. I always use the preview feature so when I click on a document the preview appears, this is useful for documents or pictures in general.

However, when I want to open a file straight away this is an issue because if first load the preview (which sometimes is slow) and then I have to click again. I changed the behaviour to open files on first click but this doesn't solve the problem as then I cannot preview anything, when I click on the file it opens it straight away (but loads the preview at the same time) so it's double slow.

Any ideas or workarounds for this?

Thanks!
Stamimail

Re: Delay preview

Post by Stamimail »

I think this is a bug (double click when Preview pane enabled).

I'm using it only when needed.
Alt+P is the shortcutkey.
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything loads (non-image) previews in the UI thread, which is stupid I know...
Previews will be loaded in a worker thread in Everything 1.5.

Also, loading (non-image) previews eat the double click message (related to Double Click problem while preview is on.)

Please try Everything 1.4.1.895 and change the preview context to CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER:
  • In Everything 1.4.1.895, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /preview_context=1
  • Type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /restart
frozst

Post by frozst »

Thanks for your reply, indeed that I've been experiencing a long time the issue described on that post.

I have updated and it seems better now, with one click to open I can hover the mouse to preview or simply click to open, however as you said it opens and previews on the same thread and that is a problem.

/preview_context=1 disabled the preview for PDFs and DOCX so I rolled back.

Looking forward to version 1.5!

Thanks!