Flag filename of file on offline backup external hardrive(s) for deletion

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Etymology

Flag filename of file on offline backup external hardrive(s) for deletion

Post by Etymology »

Hi

This is probably a stupid idea but I'm lazy and sometimes not very computer savvy.

I have several external hard disk drives (extHDDs) which I use to backup my files and folders on my C drive. I mostly have the extHDDs offline. However I often delete a file on C drive and then check with "Everything" to see if I have backup copies on the external extHDDs that will later need deletion.

I know I can copy and save the information by using "Copy Full Name to Clipboard", but then I have to later remember to check the list and perform the tedious task.

If "Everything" had the option to create a flag list of those files and then whenever I have the extHDD(s) on, and happen to run "Everything", pop-up a message showing the list of flagged files and ask if I wished to delete them, that would be very cool.

There's probably some other program out there that can easily perform this task, so if anyone knows of such a program please let me know.

A synchonisation program would of course work, but "Everything" is THE program I find myself using more and more, and with this feature I'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Stamimail

Re: Flag filename of file on offline backup external hardrive(s) for deletion

Post by Stamimail »

There's probably some other program out there that can easily perform this task, so if anyone knows of such a program please let me know.
Paid: Beyond Compare
https://www.scootersoftware.com/

Freeware: FreeFileSync
https://www.freefilesync.org/

I think it's too early for Eveything to do such tasks. I think Eveything focus currently at searching rather than comparing.
therube

Post by therube »

Maybe a right-click 'SendTo', DELBACKUP.BAT

DELBACKUP.BAT:

Code: Select all

ECHO  %1  >>  DELBACKUP.TXT
DELBACKUP.TXT:

Code: Select all

H:\FlexLM\NTI\compare\Musak\Ghost\tb1.mid
M:\MUSIC\midi\sakura07.mid
H:\TMPS\BARIS\Turkish\Anonim%20-%20Kara%20Uzum%20Habbesi.mid
M:\MUSIC\\some old DACS\Yamaha Midi's\oxycute.MID
So assuming you don't have too many files that you want to "flag", knowing that you want to flag some, you simply send those file names to a "tickler" file, DELBACKUP.TXT in this case. Then at some point you visit that file, & go about deleting files - either manually, through Everything, or using DELBACKUP.TXT as the source to another batch file that would send each filename to a DEL command...
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

If someone insists to do this by Everything, I think this post can lead him to the solution. Located in the thread:
Help with comparing files - solved - A tool to avoid downloading files you're already downloaded