shell: "Shell Folders" vs ShellFolders

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
NotNull

shell: "Shell Folders" vs ShellFolders

Post by NotNull »

As it is in the current version of Everything (I'm running Version 1.4.1.885 (x64) ), you can use the shell: function to search for shell folders.
Some of those shell folder names have a space in them, others don't. The ones with spaces in their name need their names in "", like shell:"Administrative Tools" (case insensitive, btw. Thamks for that!)

Suggestion: all shell folder names without spaces.
I know that this will break current functionality /user expectation and it also isn't a very big deal to "" the names, but if there comes a good moment to change this, please keep this thought in mind.

Thanks!
Stamimail

Re: shell: "Shell Folders" vs ShellFolders

Post by Stamimail »

Just for documation
shell:"Administrative Tools"
doesn't work in Start menu box of windows (7)
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

In Windows, outside of Everything, you should use it without the """
shell:Administrative Tools
(somewhat more useful would be: shell:Common Administrative Tools )

(Everything uses the same naming as Windows itself; that would be a good reason to keep the current naming convention)
void
Developer

Post by void »

I'll consider ignoring spaces, "Everything" can look up the full shell folder from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\FolderDescriptions

I am also working on auto complete, so once you type shell: "Everything" could list all known shell folders.
With this you could type shell:comm and click on the suggested shell:"Common Administrative Tools"

Thanks for the suggestion.