Search Everything from HIGHLIGHTED word in browser

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Summa Nulla

Search Everything from HIGHLIGHTED word in browser

Post by Summa Nulla »

Hi
I have over 300 programmes installed on my computer and sometimes I do not remember them all. Sometimes I come across a mention of a programme online and wonder if I have it already or not. i only wish I could highlight a word on a web page and then right-click and select something like "Find with Everything". This then will tell me if the programme about which I am reading is already on my computer or not.

Some may wonder how often I use Everything to do this kind of search and I will say I do this kind of search several times each week. I must copy the name, open Everything and paste to get my answer now. I know it is a simple thing to accomplish what I am asking but it is a little too sophisticated for me to figure out how to do this. I did attempt it once before when I used to use Locate32 but could not make it work. Also the developer did not know how to accomplish it.

This needs to trigger Everything even if the programme is not open and running and place the search term into it and then the result would be displayed right away. Just think how many people can use this function for finding audio and video files or books without having to open other programmes to find them.

Perhaps someone can post the directions so I can do it myself. I know it is not difficult.

Thanks heaps to anyone that can assist.

Win7/64

P.S. It IS true . . .Bob really IS your uncle!
ovg

Re: Search Everything from HIGHLIGHTED word in browser

Post by ovg »

Script makes Everything search for highlighted text:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=378&hilit=dat
Summa Nulla

Post by Summa Nulla »

Thank you for the swift response. I had a look at what you mentioned and find it is not quite to my liking having to right-click rapidly twice or three times for various things. No, I just want a right-click context menu and a choice there saying "Search Everything".

In Firefox there is an addon called Menu Wizard and I have been trying to get it to do what I want but so far I only have the item listed in the context menu but it is not passing the highlighted word to Everything. I tried with quotes, single and double slashes and of course I use the "%1" after the command. I am pretty sure I am very close but not close enough.
void
Developer

Post by void »

A third party tool for Firefox would be the way to go.

I tried implementing this a long time ago by sending WM_COPY to the foreground window and pasting the result into Everything.

From memory, earlier versions of Firefox didn't implement WM_COPY and manipulating the clipboard to get the current highlighted word is not the best idea.

WM_COPY should be widely supported now, I could restore the clipboard too, I've added to my TODO list: add an option to copy the current highlighted word into Everything.
therube

Post by therube »

how to add everything as a search engine in firefox?
(And it may work in other browser too?)
therube

Post by therube »

Summa Nulla

Post by Summa Nulla »

Hi Rube!
Thank you for taking interest in my request. I am not yet up to the level that is necessary to understand what you have written, though. I do know what a marklet is but I do not know how to take the code you wrote and make it into a marklet and how to install it. i have no marklets for my browser at the moment. Can you please make a very basic "How to" for utilizing the information that you have provided? I am not using a server by the way.
Thank you.
therube

Post by therube »

https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/
https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets ... olbar.html

So take any one of his bookmarklets, say, zap colors, & drag it to your bookmarks toolbar.

Click it (the bookmarklet, which in this case reads, "zap colors").
Whatever page you happen to be viewing, should then display with a white background (& black text).

If it does that, it is working.

Now right click the bookmarklet ("zap colors"), Properties, & make the following changes:

Code: Select all

Name:   Everything Search
   (or ES or Everything or whatever you want the name to display as)

Location:   javascript:Qr=document.getSelection();if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt('Registry%20entry%20to%20find:',''))}if(Qr)location.href='es:'+(Qr);void(0)

(the above code should all be on one continuous line, just copy it & paste it into the Location: box)
(void(0) has nothing to do with void ;-))

Click, Save (in the Properties dialog box).

With that the displayed name on the bookmarks toolbar should read, "Everything Search".

Now click on the bookmarklet.

An Everything window should open up.

Now highlight some text on the webpage, say the word, "webpage".

An Everything window should open up, Search set to "webpage".

(The "URL protocol" option in Everything needs to be enabled.)

Code: Select all

Everything Options | General --> URL protocol
ovg

Post by ovg »

2therube
Great job! Thank you for hint. But if the selection contains spaces shouldn't it be surrounded by double quotes?

javascript:Qr=document.getSelection();if(!Qr){void(Qr=prompt('Registry%20entry%20to%20find:',''))}if(Qr)location.href='es:'+'"'+(Qr)+'"';void(0)
therube

Post by therube »

Do you mean the selection of text that you're highlighting?
That should not matter.

If you mean in the actual JavaScript code, then just what is there should work, again no quotes needed.

If you're wanting to have your selected text enclosed in quotes when sent to Everything, that's different, but I can't say that I've had the need.
ovg

Post by ovg »

Lets say I highlighted XXX YYY and I want search for files that names contains "XXX YYY". Without quotes I will find all files that contains XXX and YYY in their names (XXX.*YYY)
Summa Nulla

Post by Summa Nulla »

Hooray!!! I finally got it to work! I had not heard before to click enabling URLs in options but after playing around for a little while now it actually works perfectly!

Thank you!!!