Add Explorer like folder browsing in .efu index -- proof of concept: Everything Efu Explorer

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
nod5

Add Explorer like folder browsing in .efu index -- proof of concept: Everything Efu Explorer

Post by nod5 »

Everything is great but, like some others in the forum have already requested, a mode to browse folders like in Explorer could be useful. Especially when indexing discs or drives to .efu file lists. With such a folder explorer mode Everything could replace some standalone disc cataloging tools.

Sounds good right? But don't just take my word for it! Because I made a "feature request ware" program, Everything Efu Explorer. In other words a proof of concept tool that enables such folder navigation in Everything when .efu files are loaded. Download and more details here: http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/inde ... #msg401607
The tool works pretty well (says me who made it! :-) ) but would of course be more stable and could have more features if built into Everything.
nod5

Re: Add Explorer like folder browsing in .efu index -- proof of concept: Everything Efu Explorer

Post by nod5 »

No love for this? I should add that the tool is merely a few extra hotkeys that make use of the "parent:" command and other built in Everything commands.

These are its features:

Press Enter or Alt+Enter or Alt+Right on a .efu file in Everything = start efu browse mode

In efu browse mode:
Alt+Enter = exit efu browse mode
Enter or Alt+Right = navigate into selected folder
Alt+Left or Alt+Up = navigate to parent folder
void
Developer

Re: Add Explorer like folder browsing in .efu index -- proof of concept: Everything Efu Explorer

Post by void »

I'm interested.

I would like to add an optional tree view pane to Everything. I'll be reviewing this in Everything 1.5..

Alt+Up would go up a directory.
Alt + Left and Alt + Right are already reserved for back / forward.
Not sure about Alt enter for switching the tree view, since this is used for file -> Properties.
If I did add a tree view option, there would be a customizable keyboard shortcut so you could set alt+enter if you wished.
nod5

Post by nod5 »

Hi, I'm glad to hear that. And yeah some of my hotkey choices weren't so good. I guess the best approach is to mimic Explorer where possible.

Alt+Up or Backspace for parent folder.
Enter to navigate into a folder.
Alt+left/right for back/forward.

Plus one more to start/exit folder browsing mode. Alt+Enter is as you say for properties in Everything (and Explorer). Win+Enter is Windows narrator. But Ctrl+Shift+Enter perhaps?

Do you with tree view pane mean both one folder at a time navigation and a side pane that shows the whole folder tree structure/hierarchy? That would give a nice overview when navigating.

I focused my small tool at browsing folders inside .efu files. For existing folders we can already Ctrl+Enter and browse Explorer. A worry is that if you add a general folder navigation mode you'll be feature request harassed into making Everything a general file manager like Total Commander. Don't go there! But I do hope you add the more modest features needed to replace standalone disc cataloging tools.

If you have some smaller updates to the 1.4 series planned before getting on to a 1.5 series then consider adding a custom hotkey command to temporarily (without everything restart) change the background color. I'd use that to signal when folder browse mode is on/off.
Marc2222

Post by Marc2222 »

IMHO Please don't create a "tree view pane for folders only", instead a unified folder and file view in tree mode that displays folders and files for the navigated folder, in the line of windows explorer main pane, such that if no folder has been explored display the root folder/s file/s

Double clicking a folder to explore it is more friendly for non-techie users than using hotkeys (if you intend to share a catalog). Not sure how to navigate parent folders using the gui without a navigation toolbar though...
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

http://www.rlvision.com/snap2html/about.php
I don't know how to make import/export of plain text compatible.
Needs to find a way how to make Snap2HTML and Everything compatible.
https://github.com/rlv-dan/Snap2HTML
letmeindude

Post by letmeindude »

void wrote: I would like to add an optional tree view pane to Everything. I'll be reviewing this in Everything 1.5.
Something like this?
https://postimg.org/image/dy1k3976x/

That would be awesome. Thank you.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

There are 2 features requested:
1. What you have mentioned, to filter results by path selection
https://i.stack.imgur.com/gh38A.png
https://i.stack.imgur.com/Ocgks.png
http://www.backuphowto.info/files/artic ... kup-16.png
https://i.stack.imgur.com/X6KLk.jpg
2. and there is to have a regular Explorer view. To have Everything as an alternative to Explorer. (The OP request for EFU)
Enter: Open the folder in Everything
BACKSPACE: Switch to the parent folder
etc
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Stamimail wrote:BACKSPACE: Switch to the parent folder
Not very relevant at thi moment, but ...
the function of <BackSpace> changed between WinXP and Win7: in XP it brought you to the parent folder; in Win7 and later it brought you to the previous folder (which is most of the times the parent folder ..).

( Can't remember how Vista handled the <BackSpace> )
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be adding an Explorer pane soon..
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

void wrote:Thanks for your suggestions, I'll be adding an Explorer pane soon..
What type is planned?
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5635&p=18681#p18653
void
Developer

Post by void »

No exact explorer pane is planned, I'll be implementing and testing different ones.

It's too early to say what layout the explorer pane will use.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I don't know if you understood me correctly, but I meant which problem/solution (out of the two mentioned above) Is going to be solved/implemented.
I understand it's too early to answer.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

This topic is dealing with "Everything Efu Explorer".
Can we have "Everything Explorer" be done by AHK?

I think we need 3 things for that:

1. First we need to determine what is the desired syntax will be used for toggling subfolders/nosubfolders
When a Path is typed in the SearchBox, Everything displays subfolders by default.
To have the results with nosubfolders:
void wrote:Do not search subfolders
Example: search for the folder c:\abc, but do not include subfolders:

Code: Select all

c:\abc !c:\abc\*\*
OR
Search for files and folders in the specified path, excluding subfolders:
parent:<path>
infolder:<path>
nosubfolders:<path>
I don't know what's better.

2. When pressing Enter in Results it will check:
  • IF the selected item is a single folder THEN do
    • Ctrl+C
      Ctrl+F
      Ctrl+V
      Home
      nosubfolders:
      End
      Space
      \* There may be other/better ways to do it. Ctrl+Shift+C will copy text to clipboard, but it depends on Options > Results > Double quote copy as path*\
    Else let Everything run the item/s
3. Making a Hotkey (Alt+R ?) for toggling subfolders/nosubfolders
will remove/add the prefix "nosubfolders:"

Everything has a Back and Forward shortcuts (Alt+Left and Alt+Right), when enabling Options > History > Enable Search History.