keeping removable files systems in the index

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
eddie

keeping removable files systems in the index

Post by eddie »

Hi,

in my opinion it might be a great extension to have the option to keep file systems of removable disks (or sticks ...) in the index. They should be assigned with a unique tag (which could also be searchable, e.g. how a user wants to name this disk), and it should be possible to remove a specific removable disk from the index.

Today most people have several removable data storage, and it would help being able to find everything.

Just my opinon,
eddie
void
Developer

Re: keeping removable files systems in the index

Post by void »

To index offline media please consider File Lists.

Everything 1.4 beta currently keeps offline volumes in the index.

You can toggle this from Tools -> Options -> NTFS -> Automatically remove offline volumes.

To keep offline volumes in Everything 1.3, please see:
Keep offline volumes in the index
eddie

Post by eddie »

Thanks for your help.
The feature in 1.3 is nearly what I looked for - except that the rebuild seems to happen sometimes.
The file lists look interesting, with the command line they can be created real fast, but if I import a list all other entries (from my disk) are lost. Not exactly what I wanted.

Is there a description available what's new in 1.4b? I'd like to read about this before trying it - though it sounds interesting.
void
Developer

Post by void »

The file lists look interesting, with the command line they can be created real fast, but if I import a list all other entries (from my disk) are lost. Not exactly what I wanted.
You can include file lists in your Index, from Tools -> Options -> File lists.
Is there a description available what's new in 1.4b? I'd like to read about this before trying it - though it sounds interesting.
Everything 1.4 What's New
eddie

Post by eddie »

You can include file lists in your Index, from Tools -> Options -> File lists.
I understood and did this. But in this case all entries from my volumes which are currently available (C: and D:) disappeared, only the entries from the file list (X:) were visible. If this should not be the case I did something wrong.
void
Developer

Post by void »

I understood and did this. But in this case all entries from my volumes which are currently available (C: and D:) disappeared, only the entries from the file list (X:) were visible. If this should not be the case I did something wrong.
Sounds like you are opening the file list which would only display the contents of the file list.
If you include your file list in the index you will be able to see your C:, D: and the file list in the results at the same time.
eddie

Post by eddie »

It's so easy once you understand it. :)

Thanks a lot for your help