Tab pages

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
vsub

Re: Tab pages

Post by vsub »

mapa4 wrote: • Instead of "New Search Window", having a system of tab pages with a "New Tab" button (like in Chrome or IE) would be extremely productive
Pascal
I'm not really a fan of multiple windows of the same program so such feature will be nice.
Last edited by vsub on Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nagan

Post by nagan »

+1
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at tabbed windows for a future release.
Tune the options is an operation we do often. I saw in another software the great idea to use "Shift-Click" on the tray icon to open the Options window (BTW, the new design of this window is really better, congratulations)
I will consider the option to open the options windows with shift + click from the tray icon.
Rather than select the string then delete it, having a small button on the right of the search field to make it empty
I will consider a button to clear the search.

Thanks again for the suggestsions.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

void
if you decide to implement tabs, please do not enable this feature by default
in my opinion, it is only good for a browser but in all other applications tabs are not usable

by the way, i never use "new search window" menu item because there is a special hot-key for 'every-thing' in my system (since 2009 and until now)
i mean only 1 button "/" which is placed between buttons ">" and "right shift". and it is extremely convenient
Claudio Salvio

Post by Claudio Salvio »

+1
NickTheGreek

Post by NickTheGreek »

Hello there, first of all my warmest congratulation on providing such a useful product.

I will also post in the forums but thought about contacting directly, there is a feature request that might seem odd at first but would make the application even more useful: have you thought about adding a tab feature instead of new search windows ?

i have been using this locally but also connect to other LAN ETP servers same time, 2 things would really help a lot: Tab support and also the option to save login data for ETP ( right now on application restart i have to login each time )

All my best,

NickTheGreek

www.forumsandmore.com
aviasd

Post by aviasd »

+1 for tabs,
also add feature to customize icon/colors for a tab ( like total commander ) , allow pinning and and hotkey for openning filters/bookmarks in a new tab (like shift+click)
Janus

Post by Janus »

I am with adamantine on this one.

I do not care if they are available, but please leave them removable or completely hideable.
I prefer having several copies open, it is simpler for me.
I keep my taskbar ungrouped, unsorted, and draggable via 7+taskbar, which rocks.

Of course I also run an XP style desktop on my Win7 system via classic shell.
Along with explorer++ to replace the ret@rded prebroken one that W7 ships with.
And Network activity indicator so I have my network lights back.

To me, tabs are horrid, and a large part of why I seldom look at alternate browsers to seamonkey.
I had to stop using firefox until I could figure out how to get rid of them.
I even use hide single tab on seamonkey, with the JScontext menu modded to remove the whole tab option.
I am a visual sorter, and tabs break my model.

So please, make them available if you wish, let those they work for use them, but please again, do not make them mandatory.

Janus.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

I'm a fan of tabbed windows/documents. I'm very glad my browser, editor, console emulator and file-manager have this capability.
But when it comes to Everything, I'm not convinced...

Quite often I work on multiple virtual desktops, to keep "projects" together (and maybe even more important: being able to ignore all other running applications/ "noise").
If Everything will be using a tabbed interface, that would mean the running Everything on a different virtual desktop has to be run in a separate process. And that would mean: loading an extra index (= complete database) to talk to. That might run into the GB's of extra RAM usage. And both instances trying to be up-to-data...
Whereas now there is just a 'master' and a (couple of) 'slaves', where each 'slave' has about 3MB overhead in memory. It's all in 1 process.
At least, that's how I think it works.

In case of - for example - Notepad++ or Firefox, running this on a different desktop is no big deal: just start a new instance and you're good. Those programs have little overhead. Also: starting a new process isn't a problem. There is no dependency.