Default Sort Order

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
jenna_alive

Default Sort Order

Post by jenna_alive »

I'd like to be able to set the default sort order (Newest First) because I'm generally looking for the most recent document created on a given file. It would save me time and clicks to be able to set the default sort order without having to click the date column.
shiphen

Re: Default Sort Order

Post by shiphen »

This is clearly a VERY good idea.
Yes, please, please, *PLEASE* allow the default sort order to be Newest First.

(In fact can anyone tell me if it is even POSSIBLE with the current version of Everything??)

Keep up the good work. :)
With thanks

John
John Smith
bula

Post by bula »

Awesome product BTW.
I like this idea. I sort the results by modified date 95% of the time to check latest files so this would be a great addition to change the default results sort format.
dehalley

Post by dehalley »

There's bound to be a lot of "me too" on this subject, but I love the current blazing indexing and search speeds, and I wouldn't like to see them degraded. I have over 2 million files (and quickly growing) on this box. It would be nice to have a choice, but the current default already works well for me. By far, my most common search is when I know all or part of the name. A distant 2nd is when I don't know the name or where it is (still more often than I like to admit) and having the most recent files at the top of the list would work. Having filters to apply seems like a better overall solution.
adamantine

Post by adamantine »

it almost all cases the first thing i have to do (after instantaneous load of 'everything') is to sort by path. it is tiresome, because i use this marvellous program many times a day

so, i would like to have the possibility to define (somewhere in options) the default sort order to 'path'

added later:

in fact, the situation with sorting is even much worse - i forgot to mention that i'm obliged to sort by path manually not only after each load of 'everything', but also after EACH search (even if i change only 1 symbol in the search filed, the search results immediately lose the path-order and acquire the name-order, so again i have to sort by path)
bemymonkey

Post by bemymonkey »

Any news on this? Using Everything for opening specific folders is made a bit difficult by this... when I type dropbox/testfolder and sort by path, the folder "testfolder" is right at the top. If I don't sort by path, anything starting with a letter before T is listed before "testfolder"...

Are there any changes planned here? :)
therube

Post by therube »

In Everything 1.3.0 you can now set a "Bookmark", & that bookmark can be set to remember the sort order.

(With my initial attempt at that, not totally realizing just what was being done, I found it too slow - just the reason that Sort Order is not able to be set by default. Now suppose I could refine things where there would be cases where it would be more appropriate.)