Having Some Kind of Visual Clue While Serching

Have a suggestion for "Everything"? Please post it here.
Sole

Having Some Kind of Visual Clue While Serching

Post by Sole »

There are times that the user has no idea whether the search is over or still in progress. Changing the cursor to hour-glass or a message on the status bar will help. Sometimes I've seen messages on the status bar but not always.

Another instance is when the program is starting for the first time. There is a delay before the display of the window. Some kind of splash screen can indicate that the program is started and progressing. This prevents the user from starting the program again and again and ending up with multiple instances of the program.
David
Developer

Re: Having Some Kind of Visual Clue While Serching

Post by David »

The status of the indexing process should be displayed in the status bar.
It sounds like "Everything" is in a wait lock, this could be due to a change in hardware while "Everything" is indexing.
"Everything" can only perform one task at a time, it will become unlocked once indexing is complete.

Searching should be real-time.
If you are able to manipulate the result list the search is complete.

Performing complex regex searches may take a few seconds.
During that time the result list will be unusable.

I will considering displaying the search status in the status bar for searches that take longer than a second.
Sometimes I've seen messages on the status bar but not always.
Search status is displayed for ETP connections.
Sole

Re: Having Some Kind of Visual Clue While Serching

Post by Sole »

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, indeed the regex-based searches are the one that
Everything seems to be hung temporarily. Showing a message will help a lot.

Thanks for sharing a wonderful utility. I will be looking forward to the add-on API
and FAT-capable search capability.