why does Everything NOT show file size for an offline drive

General discussion related to "Everything".
shawn8888

why does Everything NOT show file size for an offline drive

Post by shawn8888 »

All my files on D drive doesn't show size, but only name and path. See the screenshot below.
everything.No.Size.png
everything.No.Size.png (80.9 KiB) Viewed 3108 times
Currently, this D drive is offline. Is the size information still saved in the .db file?

The reason of my question:
One of my hard drives got corrupted. After long time recovering, I got some files back, but the file path and name are all messed up. With the “Everything” .db backup files, if I can get the files path, name, and size exported to a EFU (text) file, I can use the file size to match and rename those recovered files.

Please HELP! Thanks a lot!
shawn8888

Re: why does Everything NOT show file size for an offline drive

Post by shawn8888 »

I did NOT check off "index file size". Is that the reason the file size was not saved in .db file?
But why my C drive files still show size even if this index is turned off?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

When the information is missing from the database (= Index), Everything can go to disk to grab the missing information when you need it.
That works fine when the disk is available (C:), but is impossible with off-line disks (like your D: ).

Note: getting that information from disk is slower than reading it from the (in RAM loaded) index.

Bottom line: Just re-activate Index File Size ( and I also suggest you enable Fast Size Sort )
shawn8888

Post by shawn8888 »

Thank you for your reply.
So if the "index file size" option is not checked off, Everything gets the file size when the drive is online, but will NOT save the size information in .db database file after Everything is closed.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

shawn8888 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:40 pm So if the "index file size" option is not checked off, Everything gets the file size when the drive is online, but will NOT save the size information in .db database file after Everything is closed.
Correct.

BTW: It will not get the filesize of ALL files on that drive when online, but just the filesizes that it needs to display the resultlist (like when you search for *.txt, it will only read filesizes for the first (let's say 30) .txt files.

(Hope I didn't make it extra confusing for you ...)