One database for multiple computers

General discussion related to "Everything".
Cracky

One database for multiple computers

Post by Cracky »

Hi folks, im interested in configuring Everything to only read from one database. My network setup is: 4 computers, one NAS and one active computer 24/7. My thought was if Everything service is running on active computer, refreshing database once a day, and other applications only reading from that database, not modifying it. I assume its possible but i cant figure it out... thanks!
void
Developer

Re: One database for multiple computers

Post by void »

Please try the -db and -read-only command line options, for example:
Everything.exe -db \\server\share\Everything.db -read-only

Make sure Everything is not running before using the -db and -read-only command line options.
Cracky

Post by Cracky »

Thank you very much, thats it! :)
kompre

Post by kompre »

Hi,

I am very much interested in a similar setup:

I currently run Everything on my pc, which runs 24/7, it scans daily a samba share on the local network (\\server\docs\...) and it works perfectly: I have access to local files on my pc and to remote file on the samba share.

Now I would like to extend this setup to others pc on the network, which are not running 24/7, having only the always active PC to update the database for the network samba share, and every others pc to read from it. I would also like the each pc to index their local file system without exposing such index to the others.

I understand that this command:

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -db \\server\share\Everything.db -read-only
should be run on the secondary pc. Meanwhile on the primary pc should be without the read-only flag?

Code: Select all

Everything.exe -db \\server\share\Everything.db 
With a setup like that would each pc have their own local index?