Startup Error Message

General discussion related to "Everything".
edpell

Startup Error Message

Post by edpell »

Using Win 7 Home Premium SP 1, 64-bit, Dell XPS8700, Everything 1.4.1.895

Message at startup:
There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk2\DR2"
Cancel Try Again Continue

Hitting any of the three buttons twice allows me to continue.
According to Device Manager, I have no device with that name. Searching with Everything finds no occurrence of the string 'DR2' by itself or the string 'harddisk2'.

While clicking twice is not an unusual burden for me, it is an annoyance.
Any advice?

This began after I installed Everything 1.4.1.895 over 1.2.1.371 - which was today.

Thanks for your help
EdP
NotNull

Re: Startup Error Message

Post by NotNull »

I would be very surprised if Everything was the cause of your error message.

\Device\Harddisk2\DR2 referes to a disk on a device level and that is below the filesystem level where Everything operates.
In other words: Everything can't operate on that level (and supposing it does, it's highly unlikely that Everything does anything other than reading it)

That doesn't help you with your issue, of course ...
This refers to Disk2 in your system. Probably an external disk, but to make sure:
- Start diskmgmt.msc as an administrator
- On the bottom half of the screen you can find which disk is Disk2 (=Harddisk2)

If it's an external disk:
- disconnect it, reboot and see if the error message is gone.
- reconnect it and check if it has SMART errors (for example with with CrystalDiskInfo)

Good luck!
void
Developer

Post by void »

Could you please send some debug information from Everything?
  • In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
    /debug_log
  • From the Tools menu, click Options.
  • What Click the NTFS tab on the left.
  • After clicking the NTFS tab, and clicking through any "There is no disk in the drive" errors, what is shown in your %TEMP%\Everything Debug Log.txt file?
This log file will contain a list of all the volumes Everything is accessing.
edpell

Post by edpell »

Thanks to both of you for such a quick response to my post.

What I didn't notice before was that two messages appear when starting SE, one for Harddisk2 and another for Harddisk3.

After checking Disk Mgmt as you suggested, I'm pretty sure SE is looking for the contents of the two USB slots on my Dell monitor; they're identified in Disk Mgmt as Disk 2 and Disk 3. On the monitor one slot is labeled SM/SD/MS/MMC, the other is labeled CF. I don't have a card to fit the CF drive, but I always use my camera's card in the other slot, so I inserted it to test it.

Sure enough, it appears in Disk Mgmt as Disk 3. I assume a CF card would show up as Disk 2.
If it makes any difference, I have both slots configured to mount in a folder on my primary internal HD.

What's curious is that these messages never appeared using SE 1.2.1.371.

I see in the options that SE can be configured to ignore volumes. How should I configure it to eliminate those startup messages?

I tried to attach the debug log text file, but it returned an "invalid file extension" message. .txt invalid?. So I copied the contents below.

Thanks for your help.

EdP

Code: Select all

[cut by void]
2018-05-25 11:32:57.469: add new found ntfs volume: \\?\Volume{[cut by void]} | F:\Card Slots\!Monitor cf |  | 0000000000000000
[cut by void]
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

From your debug log:

Code: Select all

2018-05-25 11:34:31.342: open volume \\?\Volume{[cut by void]}
2018-05-25 11:34:31.398: opened 916 0.055473
2018-05-25 11:34:31.398: failed to query USN Journal 87
2018-05-25 11:34:31.398: DeviceIoControl(0000000000000394,FSCTL_QUERY_USN_JOURNAL,0,0,000000000012de20,56,000000000012de10,0): 87: Failed to query USN Journal.
Everything *does* talk on a device-level! (DeviceIoControl)
So I am surprised! (and a little bit stupid, as I actually knew this already).

I'm not a developer so I can't tell you if it is possible to add some code to prevent this message, but you could exclude this disk from being indexed:
- Go to Menu:Tools > Options > Indexes > NTFS
- Click on the problematic disk
- In the settings for this disk: disable Include in database

Do this for both your disks.
edpell

Post by edpell »

"Include in database" is already unchecked for both monitor slots.

More info ...
Automatically include new fixed volumes - checked
Automatically include new removable volumes - unchecked
Automatically remove offline volumes - checked

EdP
void
Developer

Post by void »

add new found ntfs volume: \\?\Volume{[cut by void]} | F:\Card Slots\!Monitor cf | | 0000000000000000
Everything does not have any configuration information saved for your "F:\Card Slots\!Monitor cf" volume.
Does "F:\Card Slots\!Monitor sm-sd" appear in Everything -> Tools -> Options -> NTFS?

Is Everything successfully saving your settings? -Please make sure "Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything" is enabled from Tools -> Opitons -> General.

Does disabling "Automatically include new fixed volumes" from Tools -> Options -> NTFS help?
edpell

Post by edpell »

Does "F:\Card Slots\!Monitor sm-sd" appear in Everything -> Tools -> Options -> NTFS?
Yes, and so does "F:\Card Slots\!Monitor cf".
Is Everything successfully saving your settings?
Yes

But the problem no longer exists!
Besides getting those error messages when Everything starts, UAC was also asking for permission. So I created a scheduled task to start Everything with "highest privileges" and now UAC is no longer complaining and neither of the Card Slot messages appear.

I understand why UAC is not complaining, but not why the other messages have disappeared.
And that's okay with me.

EdP
void
Developer

Post by void »

Thanks for the info.
Yes, and so does "F:\Card Slots\!Monitor cf".
Is Include in database unchecked for these volumes?
edpell

Post by edpell »

Is Include in database unchecked for these volumes?
Include in database is unchecked for both.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

Different user accounts can have different drive mappings ("edpell" account vs administrator account).