Indexing and searching network drive

General discussion related to "Everything".
andrew_denham

Indexing and searching network drive

Post by andrew_denham »

Hi,

Thanks for a great tool with local drives, but I need to interrogate a network drive.

I have already mapped the drive to M: I have run "Index this" and "Everything" with "Run as administrator" option both off and on, but I still cannot access the network drive.

I have tried using the root for the drive: \sd\\admin\ and no way can I access it.

Selecting the Open File List allows me to open the drive but there seems to be no *.efu list there, and no obvious way to make one. Where is this normally located? Would it be on C drive usually and if so would opening it load it?

None of the suggestions found on the forum seem to work. Any help would be appreciated.
therube

Re: Indexing and searching network drive

Post by therube »

Is the drive NTFS?

If not, you'll need to use something like Folder Indexing.
Tools | Options | Indexes -> Folders
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

andrew_denham wrote: I have already mapped the drive to M: I have run "Index this" and "Everything" with "Run as administrator" option both off and on, but I still cannot access the network drive.
You must have done some serious searching on this forum, if you did find the "Index This" utility! (assuming you were referring to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6808 ... )

As mappings of drives are "personal" (per user-account), it is best to run Everything under your own user-account (or create a M: mappping for adminstrator too, but that should be 'Plan C')
You already tried with "Run as administrator" enabled as well as disabled. Stick with this option disabled (and enable "Everything Service" while you're at it)
Now Everything should 'see' what your File Explorer 'sees' when it comes to network disks and - assuming a regular Windows share - that should be enough to be able to index this M:
As @therube already pointed out, that can be configured under Menu: Tools > Options > Indexes > Folders :
Click the Add-button and browse to your M: drive (You do see the M:-drive in the list?)

That is the more or less straightforward procedure, but I have the feeling there is more to it in your situation.
Please report back if you do see the M:-drive in the Add Folder dialog.

BTW: Which version of Everything / Windows?
void
Developer

Post by void »

sounds like Everything is still running as administrator.

Please check the debug console to see if you are running as administrator:
In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
/debug

This will show a debug console window.
At the top of the debug console you should see a line:
IsAdmin 1
-or-
IsAdmin 0

If you see IsAdmin 1 you are running Everything as administrator.

To close the debug console:
In Everything, type in the following search and press ENTER:
/debug

You will not be able to see your mapped network drives in Everything if you are running as administrator.

Please try running Everything as a standard user:
  • In Everything, from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the General tab on the left.
  • Check Everything service.
  • Uncheck Run as administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Restart Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
  • Right click a shortcut to Everything or right click your Everything.exe and click Properties.
  • Click the Compatibility tab.
  • Uncheck Run this program as an administrator.
  • Click OK.
  • Restart Everything (right click the Everything tray icon and click Exit).
-or-

Map your network drives as administrator.