Solution for Linux/ext3

General discussion related to "Everything".
vurtikas

Solution for Linux/ext3

Post by vurtikas »

Hello,

when i first heard about Everything, I knew that it would be the kind of software I was looking for. Yet, I've stored most of my data on a headless linux fileserver, that I access remotely via samba from my windows machine.

Does anybody know if there's some daemon-software for linux/ext3 that does the exact same job as Everything and that can be accessed from a remote client on windows? Some linux-only solution might also help as it might be able to run it via cygwin or andlinux (http://www.andlinux.org/) from my windows client.

Does the ext3 filesystem have something like a MFT, so that a similar solution would be generally possible?

In case there's no alternative solution available: Is there any chance a future version of Everything will incorporate ext3 support in server(daemon)-mode?

Thanks alot!
void
Developer

Re: Solution for Linux/ext3

Post by void »

This will be possible with the upcoming custom file list support.
However, indexing will be slow and you will need to manually update the indexes.

I will consider implementing native Linux/ext3 support.
vurtikas

Post by vurtikas »

void wrote:I will consider implementing native Linux/ext3 support.
that would be just great and highly appreciated by many users, i believe.

do you have any idea when this might be released?
gvvsss

Post by gvvsss »

After a loooooooooooong search in google, I found something similar and very interesting..

http://code.google.com/p/fsrunner/

fsrunner works with krunner and lancelot menu as a search plugin, and is almost the same as what everything is for windows.

fsrunner lists files and folders from both linux native filesystems (ext2,3,4, reiserfs, brtfs) and ntfs (nfts-3g).

Although, I did not verify whether it works in gnome or whether it can completely be integrated in KDE,
I've personally used this and I am very much satisfied with it. :P
sopex

Post by sopex »

gvvsss wrote:After a loooooooooooong search in google, I found something similar and very interesting..

http://code.google.com/p/fsrunner/

fsrunner works with krunner and lancelot menu as a search plugin, and is almost the same as what everything is for windows.

fsrunner lists files and folders from both linux native filesystems (ext2,3,4, reiserfs, brtfs) and ntfs (nfts-3g).

Although, I did not verify whether it works in gnome or whether it can completely be integrated in KDE,
I've personally used this and I am very much satisfied with it. :P

So fine a thought ! But...I've verify that it can not works in Gnome (Ubuntu 10.10 ,Gnome 2.32.0). The primary reason is FSRunner depends on the calling of Krunner which only deploy in KDE. I wonder any methods can solve this problem ? :?
gvvsss

Post by gvvsss »

Dear Void,

Any news on implementation of Linux Filesystem native support ?

Any ideas on a native Linux version ?
arlanda

Post by arlanda »

+1 for this feature. I'm using Linux more often now since tinkering with the Raspberry Pi. Windows 10 wasn't able to read/write to the EXT partition, which was an inconvenience because I've often swapped the microSD card between Windows and Linux machine. Sure I can work exclusively within Linux to get around this issue but I find that its easier to interact with Windows.

I'm using the software ExtFS for Windows and I'd love to be able to use Everything whenever I'm working with Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 partition.

As SBC (e.g. Raspberry Pi) are gaining in popularity and are mainly using Linux distros, I think it would be sensible to add this support to Everything to work with the Linux file system.

Single-board computer
Comparison of single-board computers

arlanda