How to find any file and folder dupes with different extensions?

General discussion related to "Everything".
schedulex

How to find any file and folder dupes with different extensions?

Post by schedulex »

I am doing alot of video transcoding so I will be having alot of files and folders of same names but different exts, like .mp4 and .mkv. The dupe: function in Everything only find dupes with exact name with exact type, the namepartdupe: function can't seem to include same folder names along with the files. how do I tell it to ignore the checking of extensions and whether if its a file or folder?

Example if I have dupes of "foovideo", it should list all the following if I have them, without me searching "foovideo" explicitly:
foovideo\
foovideo.wmv
foovideo.mp4
foovideo.mkv
therube

Re: How to find any file and folder dupes with different extensions?

Post by therube »

namepartdupe: Find files and folders with the same name part (excluding extension).
It says, but it doesn't seem to be picking up on "folders", at least not once you filter the shown results of namepartdupe: (like by adding, foovideo) ?
therube

Post by therube »

A round-about way.

Code: Select all

namepartdupe: foovideo | folder:foovideo
You might be able to create a filter (& macro) do cover that?
Or maybe not?
Or maybe Stamimail's suggestion would cover it, it the ability existed?
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

IIRC, Everything uses 2 'databases' internally: 1 for files and 1 or folders (and 1 for recent files or something like that, but that is not relevant in this case)
namepartdupe: does find folders with the same name (*) and it does find files with the same base-name (filename without extension), but not in a combination of those.
And I can't think of a way to get what you're searching for (but didn't try *really* hard)

(*) Everything seems to ignore the fact that folders can have "extensions" too:
folders aaaaaa.1 , aaaaaa.2 and aaaaaa.3 are not seen as having the same base-name.
It is debatable if these are really filename extensions, but it is counter-intuitive.