Everything saved my audio recording PC; new version still going to work?

General discussion related to "Everything".
melodicdiscord

Everything saved my audio recording PC; new version still going to work?

Post by melodicdiscord »

Everything allowed me to turn off windows search, which was constantly indexing and giving me audio dropouts on my studio recording pc. I've been using version 1.2.371 for years now, and just realized I'm way behind! It seems like there are many exciting improvements in 1.4.1, but I just wanted to make sure I can leave all the default options on, and it still won't constantly be indexing like the default windows search was. Windows 7 64bit. Thanks for any replies!
Stamimail

Re: Everything saved my audio recording PC; new version still going to work?

Post by Stamimail »

Everything is indeed indexing, in real-time, even in the old version, just that the indexing is made so fast, and you don't have the problems of Windows Search.
There may be one primary change in the new versions: You will need to install Everything Service (or Run as Admin).

You can try the new version. my suggestion:
1. Download the Portable version
2. At first run, choose install Everything Service.
3. Enable in Menu: View > Filters
4. You may change settings also in Menu: Tools > Options > Home (tab), to set the default behaviour.
Done.
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

On an actual hardware and Windows 10 you don't have performance impacts with Windows indexing.
Everything only indexes file names and some other data but not content.
So the Windows index is importand for any searches by content.
I know that Everything also can search for content but this is not indexed at all, very slow
and not functioning for many file formats.
therube

Post by therube »

(Backup your Everything settings, first. That way you have something to refer back to, if need be.)