order of parameters and OR symbol.

General discussion related to "Everything".
hhtt

order of parameters and OR symbol.

Post by hhtt »

I have folder called sn. Under it I have files and folders with their name including X, Y, Z. Some includes X and Y in their name or some only with X or Y but under that folders with X and Y there again folder names with X and Y. Actually the situation is very easy.

X sn | Y sn | Z sn gives a different result than sn X | Y sn | Z sn. This seems strange to me. Would you please explain it? But we know that order of parameters are no important in everything. So both should have given the result " all folders under sn (because X, Y and Z under sn) X, Y, Z.

What is wrong?

Thank you.
Stamimail

Re: order of parameters and OR symbol.

Post by Stamimail »

Please try with <>
<X sn> | <Y sn> | <Z sn>

Look also at:
Options > Search > Operator precedence:

(space is AND, | is OR)
hhtt

Post by hhtt »

I checked the operator precedence and see that there are two options. I don't know how these options take effect? Would you please explain these options? I will also try to understand them by changing them so that I could have an idea by the differences. Meanwhile is there any document or link other than FAQ which explains some options? And we also forgot to mention "match case" option. When I did that search "match case" was enabled. I always enable "match case".

Thank you.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

I don't know how these options take effect? Would you please explain these options?
123 456|789
123 AND 456 OR 789
can be interpreted as:
<123 AND 456> OR <789>
or
<123> AND <456 OR 789>
Meanwhile is there any document or link other than FAQ which explains some options?
Look at
http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/
and you can also
Search this forum by the search box at top of this page.
I always enable "match case".
Look at stauts bar, for "match case" indicator.
Also, if you want "match case" to be enabled always, you should edit HOME tab in Options:
Menu: Tools > Options > Home