Using "Everything" as a program launcher?

General discussion related to "Everything".
Searcher

Using "Everything" as a program launcher?

Post by Searcher »

Hi,

I would like to use "Everything" as a program launcher for Windows XP (similar to "Launchy" for example or similar to Vista's start menu search). How can I do that? I was thinking maybe by using a custom filter with a keyboard shortcut assigned so that the only thing I would have to would be to open a new search window, then invoke the filter with the keyboard shortcut and add the name of the program (e.g. Excel).

I think the filter should include the path to the start menu items, which is C:\Documents and Settings (or C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen in my German Windows), and the relevant subfolders would be "All Users\Start Menu" and "My current user name\Start Menu" (or "Startmenü" in my German Windows). However, by default I do not have the option "Match path" enabled in "Everything", which I think would be required. Is there a parameter to selectively enable "Match path" for a specific search only?

Can anyone help me set up a suitable filter, etc.?
therube

Re: Using "Everything" as a program launcher?

Post by therube »

I always use Everything as a program launcher.

I just type the name (or part of) followed by .exe (or .xpi, or .whatever).
That has worked out fine for me.

firefox.exe, brings up all the (5) seperate versions of FF that I have installed
seamonkey.exe, brings up 24 versions
reg scan .exe, brings up RegScanner.exe

Further, these searches now pop up in the dropdown box, making selection even easier.

Once I download an extension update, say NoScript, I search for "noscript xpi" click on Date Modified (as otherwise my list would be long), & drag that into SeaMonkey rather then using any other method to access the file.

Now something more refined, hadn't really thought about that, cause I really haven't found the need.
But yes, in general, Everything kind of makes everything much easier to do ;-).
void
Developer

Post by void »

You might like to try the latest alpha release of "Everything".

With the latest alpha release you can sort by run frequency.
Files and folders that you run more often will appear at the top of the result list.

You can right click a file or folder to change its run frequency.
Pressing Enter from the search box will select the most run result.

To make all your files in documents and settings and start menu appear at the top of the result list:
  • Search for

Code: Select all

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\" | "All Users\Start Menu" | "My current user name\Start Menu"
  • Select all results (CTRL + A).
  • Right click any item.
  • Click Set Run Frequency.
  • Set Run Frequency to 100
  • Click OK.
However, by default I do not have the option "Match path" enabled in "Everything", which I think would be required. Is there a parameter to selectively enable "Match path" for a specific search only?
Simply include a backslash (\) in your search.
For example to find files in your Documents and Settings folder, search for:

"Dokumente und Einstellungen\"
Searcher

Post by Searcher »

Thanks for the tips.

I currently use the latest alpha version of "Everything".

When I enter

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\" | "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Verwaltung\Startmenü\"
into the search field, I get 533 objects consisting of lots of folders and .lnk files plus a few desktop.ini files. Now when I add "Word" to the end

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\" | "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Verwaltung\Startmenü\" Word
I get 482 objects.
However, what I would have expected (or what I would have liked) is
Microsoft Word.lnk
WordPad.lnk
as these are the only two files that contain the term "Word" AND are located in the two above start menu ("Startmenü" in German) folders.
With "Word" preceding the two start menu folder paths,

Word "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\" | "C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Verwaltung\Startmenü\"
I get only 59 objects but still more than what I would expect.

What did I do wrong? Why don't I get the expected results?
void
Developer

Post by void »

You will need to do two separate searches.

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Verwaltung\Startmenü\" Word
and

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\"  Word
Searcher

Post by Searcher »

OK, I see. That works. I now created the following custom filters named "Start Menu Items (All Users)" and "Start Menu Items (Verwaltung)":

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\All Users\Startmenü\" .lnk

"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Verwaltung\Startmenü\" .lnk
The filters that come with "Everything" already have shortcuts (Ctrl + 1, etc.)
I would like to assign keyboard shortcuts to my new custom filters (e.g. Ctrl + 9 and Ctrl + 0). In the "Filters" tab, there is no such option. And in the "Keyboard" tab I don't know what I have to select or do to assign keyboard shortcuts to my new custom filters. Can you please help me with that?
void
Developer

Post by void »

You can set a keyboard shortcut to a custom filter with the latest alpha release of "Everything".

To set a keyboard shortcut to a custom filter:
  • In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  • Click the Keyboard tab.
  • Type in filter for Show commands containing.
  • Locate the filter by number, the first filter is Search.Filter01, the second filter is Search.Filter02 and so on..
  • Press the new shortcut key in the Press new shortcut box.
  • Click Assign.
  • Click OK.
It is a little awkward to find the index of the custom search filters.
You will need to calculate the index by counting to your custom filter on the filter tab.
Setting a keyboard shortcut for custom search filters has been improved for the next release of "Everything".
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

I'm using Everything version 1.2.1.451a, and I'm stumbled over a problem wit how Everything is opening folder-windows and executing programs, specifically with "PngOptimizer".

Here are two pics, to show what I mean:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2im6ys0.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/hur8eq.png

I assume that Everything launches the program with less or more rights (in the picture it's "PngOptimizer_everything.exe") than when I launch it normally i.e. via a desktop-shortcut ("PngOptimizer.exe").

I just wanted to bring this to your attention because Everything is launched with (I think) higher priviledges, and I don't want to risk changing vital system-settings because of that.