Folder Index -> Never, Should F2 Rename update?

General discussion related to "Everything".
therube

Folder Index -> Never, Should F2 Rename update?

Post by therube »

With a Folder Index -> set to Never update, Should an F2 Rename actually update the listing?

I guess it should not?

But it is odd, because the rename does occur, only [nothing new] is reflected back to the user.
void
Developer

Re: Folder Index -> Never, Should F2 Rename update?

Post by void »

With a Folder Index -> set to Never update, Should an F2 Rename actually update the listing?
If "Attempt to monitor changes" is enabled, Everything will continue to monitor changes in real-time even when Never update is selected.
Is "Attempt to monitor changes" checked?
But it is odd, because the rename does occur, only [nothing new] is reflected back to the user.
Is Everything removing the old name, but not adding the new name?
therube

Post by therube »

Is "Attempt to monitor changes" checked?
No, I did not have that checked (purposely, just figuring I'd simply do an update - from time to time).
Is Everything removing the old name, but not adding the new name?
The file (on disk) is renamed, blindly, if you will, but nothing is reflected in Everything.

I had forgotten, or didn't realize that I had Never enabled for the folder & was not monitoring, which is OK, but when I went to rename, it was like, didn't I just rename the file? So I tried a second time, but that second attempt failed with a message (because the file as it was originally named was not there anymore). [The first "rename" only gave, what seemed to me to be a "blip", but nothing more, so I thought I did something wrong. Only after looking further did I realize that I was set to Never, which then brought me here ;-).]

I suppose if I wanted "Never", with never meaning that the .db/index would remain totally unchanged, then I guess the behavior is correct.

If I wanted "Never, but...", hmm, then maybe I ought to just enable Monitoring...?
void
Developer

Post by void »

If monitoring is enabled, Everything should detect the rename, even if you have never update checked.

I've renamed "update" to "rescan" to make this clearer.