Offline/online files (search and show)

General discussion related to "Everything".
maxfactor

Offline/online files (search and show)

Post by maxfactor »

Can we only search for online or offline files ?

Can we have offline files grayed in some way (so that you immediately distinguish them) ?

Thanks
void
Developer

Re: Offline/online files (search and show)

Post by void »

Everything does not track online/offline status of volumes, yet...

It's on my TODO list.
maxfactor

Post by maxfactor »

but in the

Options -> Indexes -> NTFS under Local NTFS volumes:

I can see that my external USB HDD drive is shown as

Offline Disk (M:)

so in some way Everything know that every file/folder whose path begin with M: is not available... so a function as offline: could easily return offline items. Is it right? Thanks
void
Developer

Post by void »

Everything checks online / offline status when you open the NTFS/ReFS Options Window.

What I've played around with is updating the the online / offline status when a device is removed or added and also polling for changes, for example a remote volume may go online/offline with no notification.

The problem with checking for for online / offline volumes is trying to determine if an offline volume is actually offline, it can make the system unresponsive. Online / Offline detecting in Everything is not yet mature enough for release.
maxfactor

Post by maxfactor »

You are simply great. Every time I have asked something... you have always been one step ahead. Thank you for your availability and courtesy.

At the moment I am NOT indexing "date created", and so it is shown as an empty field for every unavailable file.

In that way when I search for

dc:unknown

I get them easily.

It is not an indexed search, so it takes some seconds the first time I launch the search; anyway it just took 1 second every 100.000 unavailable items, so it is a very acceptable search time.

I know we have talked a lot about these things by mail, but now that I have discovered the forum, I'am proposing some of that subjects to share them too.