Inheriting Everything Settings across Multiple Windows Profiles

General discussion related to "Everything".
ddelzott

Inheriting Everything Settings across Multiple Windows Profiles

Post by ddelzott »

I'm a new user to Everything and have been trying to incorporate it into a multi-user environment. I've been trying to figure out how to configure Everything so multiple users logging into a single computer get the same pre-defined Everything settings. After configuring the search paths and exceptions under my administrator profile that I want all users to inherit, I've tried unchecking the 'Store settings and data in...' as well as pointing the database location to a single shared path on the computer (Program Files\Everything) containing the db, ini and exe files. However, any domain user that logs in does not inherit the configuration. Since the settings do not appear to carry across (windows) profiles, I'm forced to have to individually configure each user. So far the only OS I've tested this with is Windows 10 which, of course, could very well be the whole problem. Anyway, if anyone out there has dealt with this scenario and might have a solution, please let me know.
Thanks much.
void
Developer

Re: Inheriting Everything Settings across Multiple Windows Profiles

Post by void »

I've tried unchecking the 'Store settings and data in...' as well as pointing the database location to a single shared path on the computer (Program Files\Everything) containing the db, ini and exe files. However, any domain user that logs in does not inherit the configuration.
Everything uses one or two ini files:
1) the "root" Everything.ini, which is always in the same location as your Everything.exe, this ini is always loaded first.
2) the Everything.ini in %APPDATA%\Everything - this ini file is only used when the root Everything.ini contains app_data=1, when used, any settings in this ini will override the root ini.

-config can override both of these so you can specify your own ini file.

Please check the value of app_data in the root config.

You will probably run into trouble here, since Everything under a limited account will be unable to save to C:\Program Files\Everything.
Everything 1.3 will fail silently. Everything 1.4 will actually throw errors.

You may need to copy your admin settings before each user runs Everything (with each user having the app_data setting enable).
eg, startEverything.bat:
mkdir %APPDATA%\Everything
copy c:\sharedfolder\Everything-admin.ini %APPDATA%\Everything\Everything.ini
start "C:\Program Files\Everything\Everything.exe"

The trouble is then setting up this bat to run on startup instead of Everything.exe directly.

Another way would be to use the -config command line option to specify a different config file, eg:
Everything.exe -config c:\sharedfolder\Everything.ini

Same problem though, the user will have to start Everything with the -config command line option on startup.
Whirly

Post by Whirly »

I imagine this is probably a Windows problem. But it would really nice if this situation improved. I'd like it to be easier to configure Everything with settings we want for all users and computers. Thanks
void
Developer

Post by void »

It's an Everything problem.

You will be able to override user settings with GPO and optional admin ini files in the next major release of Everything.
trichromic

Post by trichromic »

Hello,

Just to say, I absolutely love Everything and wish you could show Microsoft some basics of how to build a decent search tool :lol:

Has there been any progress on this last feature promise (GPO and admin improvements for multiple users)
trichromic

Post by trichromic »

Everything uses one or two ini files:
1) the "root" Everything.ini, which is always in the same location as your Everything.exe, this ini is always loaded first.
2) the Everything.ini in %APPDATA%\Everything - this ini file is only used when the root Everything.ini contains app_data=1, when used, any settings in this ini will override the root ini.

-config can override both of these so you can specify your own ini file.

Please check the value of app_data in the root config.

You will probably run into trouble here, since Everything under a limited account will be unable to save to C:\Program Files\Everything.
Could we please have the option for it not to warn nor to create the %appdata%\Everything.ini if it finds it can't write to the root ini file?
In our case, we would be very happy to just have the single root ini from which all users (on the RDS server) get their settings the same.
NotNull

Post by NotNull »

trichromic wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 pm In our case, we would be very happy to just have the single root ini from which all users (on the RDS server) get their settings the same.
If you disable the Store settings and data in %APPDATA%\Everything setting (under Menu:Tools > Options > General), the single Everything.ini that will be used is the one in the fodler where Everything.exe resides.

Be aware that this has shortcomings in a multi-user setup as ALL settings are in this INI, including, sorting, layout, bookmarks, etcetera.
TheCptn

Post by TheCptn »

void wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:48 am

If you go properties on the everything folder and then security, give "USERS" full access and this should resolve any issues due to limited accounts, if you still have issues click "edit" then "add", then you can add "Everyone" and give the "everyone" group full access.
Janus

Post by Janus »

You can try installing in the "program data" tree instead of program files.
Or you can make a directory on C root, beware that W7 & later makes this hard.
It creates a phantom dir in the current profile, redirecting as needed by default.
There is a way to turn this off, but I don't remember off hand, I don't have this limitation in my setup, but it present by default.

Add "everyone" to the directory security properties set for all access.
That way the install space stays the same, and everyone will have free access to everything.

Janus.