Unexpected change of MOVE behavior to COPY

General discussion related to "Everything".
john_78

Unexpected change of MOVE behavior to COPY

Post by john_78 »

hi

first let me thank you for this awesome program

now about my problem...i don't know if this is a bug or if I'm responible...i don't think i changed any of the settings...

some days ago I was moving my search results by simply dragging (with the left mouse button) from EVERYTHING to my DOPUS browser
the files were obviously moved as the path in EVERYTHING was instantly updated with the new one and I also double checked in the old directory and the files had INDEED been moved

now when i try to do the same thing to files from the exact same folder when i drag them from the EVERYTHING search results they get COPIED instead of MOVED

can someone please explain what's going on so that i can get back to the previous MOVING behavior that suited my style better...

thanks
void
Developer

Re: Unexpected change of MOVE behavior to COPY

Post by void »

If the source drive is different than the destination drive the default operation is Copy.

For example: Dragging the D:\New Text Document.txt to C:\ will copy the file.
Everything will show a + on the cursor to indicate a copy action.

If the source drive is the same as the destination drive the default operation is Move.

For example: Dragging the C:\Sub folder\New Text Document.txt to C:\ will move the file.

This is the same behavior you will find in Windows Explorer.
Now when i try to do the same thing to files from the exact same folder when i drag them from the EVERYTHING search results they get COPIED instead of MOVED
Are all the files on the same drive?

Please use right-click dragging for more control over what action to perform when the files are dropped.
john_78

Re: Unexpected change of MOVE behavior to COPY

Post by john_78 »

yes that's exactly what's happening after all...it was so simple

i thought i remembered moving files from drive to drive which caused me to become baffled about this but probably i don't remember correctly...

Thanks about the right drag tip and for the quick reply