multi-file renaming

General discussion related to "Everything".
therube

multi-file renaming

Post by therube »

multi-file renaming

It grows on you.
Its really convenient.
Its slick.

Might take some experimentation & a bit of thought.
And sometimes you might be better off selecting only a subset of what you "think" you wanted to select (& rename) as you might be afforded greater latitude in doing so.

Like if you wanted to rename some movies & your first thought was to select both .flv & .mp4 & perform some rename action on them, depending on the action, you might be better of splitting it into two actions; first on .flv, then on .mp4, cause sometimes a particular %x will grab more then expected limiting you.

trains 140629 diesel.mp4
trains 151009 diesel.mp4
trains 151009 diesel.flv

If you wanted to rearrange the names, putting the date before the extension, you'd have %1 %2 & %3 with %3 ending up being diesel.* & you couldn't do it.

But if instead you selected only:

trains 140629 diesel.mp4
trains 151009 diesel.mp4

You would have something like 'trains %1 diesel.mp4' & you could then change that to:

'trains diesel %1.mp4'

where if you had also chosen the .flv, you wouldn't be able to do that.

I had thought that dragging a set of files into an external renamer was convenient, but now I can do most of what I've done before, right there with Everything. Now that's convenient!

One day it might bite me (the 'ol, damn! what did I just do?) but so far, I'm liking it!

:-).
FarrelBuch

Re: multi-file renaming

Post by FarrelBuch »

I would love to use it. Is there any documentation or a few examples or a hint or two?