Can I specify e-mails only?

General discussion related to "Everything".
hulland

Can I specify e-mails only?

Post by hulland »

I love the speed of Everything for searching my pc, but losing e-mails in Outlook Express, is a regular problem for me--can I specify in Everything to only look in the mail( .dbx) folders?
jjk

Re: Can I specify e-mails only?

Post by jjk »

Just enter the full path in the search field, or simplier tape "dbx".
David
Developer

Post by David »

To index only the folders you specify in "Everything":
  1. In "Everything", from the Tools menu, click Options.
  2. Click the Exclude tab.
  3. Click Add Folder.
  4. Check Include for the type.
  5. Browse for the dbx folder (for example C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\Microsoft\Outlook Express).
  6. Click OK.
  7. Repeat steps 2-6 for each folder you wish to include.
  8. Click OK.
DKWagner

Post by DKWagner »

hulland wrote:I love the speed of Everything for searching my pc, but losing e-mails in Outlook Express, is a regular problem for me--can I specify in Everything to only look in the mail( .dbx) folders?
Excuse my ignorance. Should my reply precede or follow your quote?
The issue you describe of losing emails is a seriously, major problem in business today and fhas been for a long time.
All email programs suffer from similar issues and crashes sooner or later.
Assuming that this will happen is your best offence protection.
Document Management Systems are expensive and many of them are redundant to the extreme.
I recommend saving 'important' inbound email files to a Standard Folder structure specific to the Contact, Company, Project, Issue, etc.
* Secondly, use Word, WordPad, OpenOffice, etc. to create a real business document in "RTF" file format and
send it as an attachment or an email.
Now you have both inbound and outbound business emails stored relative to the contact of subject matter.
Create a shortcut or other script code to launch Everything on that folder.
Wonderfully and quickly you can see all of your emails and other files for that 'contact'.
If you're interested in how we accomplish this, our solution is open source and easy to accomplish with
Everything.
Ciao, 'Don'