Something like Everything on Linux, recommendations?

General discussion related to "Everything".
DeerDance

Something like Everything on Linux, recommendations?

Post by DeerDance »

I pretty much gave up on the speed or up-to-dateness of search engines under linux as its something to do with NTFS journal filesystem that gives the speed to Everthing,

BUT I am still looking for something close to its functionality and accessibility wise as possible.

Something with simple but large GUI that allows for larger numbers of results, not just some "launchy like" style where you barely see 5 results and no way to order folders first and going to folder vs opening files and such.

So anyone knows of some good linux alternatives to Everythings GUI?
I search this forum and FS runner has been recommended but the issue with it, is that of the launchy like results
I tried Kfind, which looked almost acceptable but seems I cant get indexing to work yet
I tried nepomuk indexation, but it seems its just indexing for krunner results which is really not what I want

I dont want to have my launch-it-all-app polluted by files and folders.

So any linux user found something close to Everything? Does not matter if KDE or Gnome, important is if there is something at least.

cheers.
DeerDance

Re: Something like Everything on Linux, recommendations?

Post by DeerDance »

So far closest thing I got on my openSUSE is recoll
Though its full text indexing search, and I dont seem to be able to turn that off

/edit
after few days i just seem to cant use it well, or to configure it to not do full text indexing

and so the search for everything on linux continues
amomp3

Post by amomp3 »

bump ...
therube

Post by therube »

Not real-time, but UNIX has long had locate, which I'm sure a GUI could be built around.

And you mean to tell me that there aren't already GUI's built around locate in UNIX?

The Windows Locate32 I'm guessing was inspired by the UNIX locate. And I'd further guess that Everything was influenced by Locate32?
wander

Post by wander »

I started working on an alternative some weeks ago. It's still pretty early in development and not nearly as solid and feature rich as Everything, but it does already most things I care about: https://github.com/cboxdoerfer/fsearch