Start found application with non-admin rights ?

General discussion related to "Everything".
dodfr

Start found application with non-admin rights ?

Post by dodfr »

Hi,

Actually Everything must be run as admin on my seven 64bits or it will scan no disk at all, this is not a problem but this as a side-effect as I often use Everything to fast find some .EXE I and start them
but in that case all launched .EXE will get Admin privileges without asking ! in some cases this is usefull but in some other cases the .EXE must not be lauched as Admin at all.

Is there anything to avoid this problem ? may be some confirmation windows when you double-click (or press Enter) on .EXE and ask for Run As Admin or not ?

As a developper I know that any app started by Admin elevated App will automaticaly be granted same privileges, but may be there is a way to avoid this and popup some confirmation window ?

Also an other thing, it could be usefull to auto-hide the search windows if you double click (or press Enter) on a file (this could be a general setting option or may be based on some extension filter), for example when I do "Enter" on an .EXE or a .JPG or a .MP3 or a .AVI then 99% of time I don't need to keep Everything search window open and I will have to close it myself.

Regards.
therube

Re: Start found application with non-admin rights ?

Post by therube »

Everything must be run as admin on my seven 64bits or it will scan no disk at all
True.
And especially odd at that because there is no UAC prompt?
So you must manually right-click & Run As Administrator.

If you start from a desktop shortcut, you can right-click the shortcut & set to to Run As Administrator, by default, so we're OK there.

But if you run Everything.exe directly, then there is no prompt & you must manually Run As Administrator.

I tried taking ownership of Everything.db, but then it is simply zap'd when Everything is run without UAC.

(XP users are not likely not affected by this.)

all launched .EXE will get Admin privilege
If there existed such a thing a "Drop rights on execute"?

another thing, it could be usefull to auto-hide the search windows if you double click (or press Enter) on a file
Options | UI, Close window on execute
therube

Post by therube »

And especially odd at that because there is no UAC prompt?
Because some portions of the program can run without elevation.
So if you want those parts that cannot, you must specifically ask for it.
dodfr

Post by dodfr »

So you must manually right-click & Run As Administrator.

If you start from a desktop shortcut, you can right-click the shortcut & set to to Run As Administrator, by default, so we're OK there.
I checked the "always run as admin" in Everything.exe properties so I am sure it always start as Admin, and I added it in Task Scheduler to run when I open my Windows Session so no more problem and no Admin Popup.
Options | UI, Close window on execute
OK I checked that option.