Any new version after 1.21.452a?

General discussion related to "Everything".
vssrkt

Any new version after 1.21.452a?

Post by vssrkt »

i came to know about it few days back. it was lightning fast. i became fan of it and mentioned about this tiny useful tool to bunch of my colleagues. They also liked it.Thanks voidtools for the great effort.

Any new version after 1.21.452a?. if not, when it is going to come. i am looking forward using it.
nmc

Re: Any new version after 1.21.452a?

Post by nmc »

No, 452 is the most recent; most people just use 451.

Everything is still being worked on, I believe; it's just that the author probably has to have a life outside of Everything - there is no release date for any new version. The last time I saw his "to-do" list on this forum, it was half a mile long and growing....
hsrstud

Post by hsrstud »

After almost 2 and 1/2 years without an update, sadly enough, I think it may be safe to say this project has reached the end of its probable development cycle, despite the author's best intentions. Perhaps, I will be proven wrong (gladly so), but personally, I'm not going to hold my breath any longer.
gunrunnerjohn

Post by gunrunnerjohn »

FWIW, I use this every day, and while I'd like to see new versions, the .451 version works great for me. Exactly what is everyone wanting to get in a new version?
Scoox

Post by Scoox »

True, if it works it works. I have been using 451 for ages and I haven't experienced any problems. My fear is that Everything may not work under future versions of Windows, and there just isn't a substitute for Everything. All other file search apps I know of need to index the entire hard drive and are far behind Everything in terms of functionality. Also, they tend to be bloated. Everything is lean. reliable, straightforward, extremely powerful, fast and effective. Along with Autohotkey, it's simply the best freeware app I've ever used. I don't understand why Microsoft don't provide this sort of functionality as standard when they have time to code Aero task switcher and other similar eye-candy that nobody really needs. If one guy alone can code Everything, surely a multi-million enterprise like MS can do it!
rado

Post by rado »

Maybe not enough donations? Maybe he should start selling it instead.

There is a commercial alternative, bought it myself a couple of years ago, unfortunately it tends to crash on my XP, and there's been no updates for 3 over years now, that's why I'm using Everything:

http://www.search-gt.com/index.html
silat

Post by silat »

rado that program you linked to has not been updated since April 2008.
deepdvd

Post by deepdvd »

I wouldn't worry about future versions of Windows, at least not yet.

I can confirm the Everything Search Engine works on Windows 8 and Windows Server 8. The issue isn't Windows. It's the file system format. I can confirm that Everything does NOT work on ReFS (Resilient File System, originally codenamed "Protogon")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Server_8#ReFS

I would love to see development continue on this incredible program.