Everything as a Cataloguer

General discussion related to "Everything".
Marc2222

Everything as a Cataloguer

Post by Marc2222 »

Of all the applications I know Everything database is the most efficient one. I used it for searching files but it could also easily become my top cataloger. There's only one thing missing: a view to display nested folders in a tree view. Right know the aproach I have taken is to use ZeroZipper to replicate in 0 bytes files and folder structure for all of my drives.

Kind Regards,
Marc
adamantine

Re: Everything as a Cataloguer

Post by adamantine »

there are already 2 topics more or less related to tree view:
a tree view (but with files); and with left indent for nested folders; also with double left indent for nested files
sorting files and folders together

strangely that they still got no support at all. though in my opinion implementation of these ideas may greatly improve ET. which could become more that just a search engine (even if it is obviously the best in its class)
horst.epp

Post by horst.epp »

There is Hddb which is as fast as Everything,
It can integrate many tools for the search results and also has a tree view.
Even Preview using Total commander viewers are supported.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Fil ... Hddb.shtml
Marc2222

Post by Marc2222 »

Thanks for bringing Hddb unfortunately it doesn't index 0-byte files o.O ...which means it can't index the catalog I have already created with ZeroZipper and modified later... and it crashes when building the database for some drives. I have the impression Hddb has some bugs to be fixed but other than that is quite good. Do note there are portable builds of Hddb for x86 and x64 http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2648
Marc2222

Post by Marc2222 »

What about a different version that supports tree like browsing? Before the updated builds I used the version of Everything with updating disabled
http://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=319
but that is easier to implement than a tree like version.
Marc2222

Post by Marc2222 »

Another topic about pretty much the same...

Request: folder navigation mode for efu file lists
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Does anyone know a "Text 2 ZeroFolersFiles" tool? or other trick?
Sometimes I want to have like Explorer view of a txt/efu filelist.
nod5

Post by nod5 »

A heads up for anyone monitoring this thread for changes. I made a small tool with hotkeys for browsing efu files in Everything
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5635&p=15436#p15436 I hope the Everything developer makes that functionality native.
Slider2k

Post by Slider2k »

Heads up for anyone looking for a file size tree viewer with the speed of Everything. There is a freeware called WizTree, that works off the same principals as Everything (i.e. reading NTFS MFT for efficiency). It has great interface, lightweight, and is strictly better for the purpose than aforementioned buggy HDDb.
Stamimail

Post by Stamimail »

Slider2k wrote:Heads up for anyone looking for a file size tree viewer with the speed of Everything. There is a freeware called WizTree, that works off the same principals as Everything (i.e. reading NTFS MFT for efficiency). It has great interface, lightweight, and is strictly better for the purpose than aforementioned buggy HDDb.
Doesn't support Smartphone/Camera. If someone knows free program with such support, please post.