Another MFT based searcher

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
therube

Another MFT based searcher

Post by therube »

Another MFT based searcher:
UltraSearch V1.2 Beta

UltraSearch searches files on local NTFS drives and provides the results within just a few seconds. UltraSearch does not use a previously built index or background process, it achieves its speed by working directly on the Master File Table (MFT) of the NTFS partitions. You can enter a file name or a pattern like *.exe and often will see the results already while typing. Additional information like size and last change date will be shown for the listed files. Moreover, the Explorer context menu is available inside UltraSearch.

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/in ... ltraSearch
Works. Though very basic in implementation compared to Everything. Also looked to use more memory.
XtremeMaC

Re: Another MFT based searcher

Post by XtremeMaC »

well there is searchGT, which i had used prior to everything.
latest version is from 2008 and does not include vista/windows 7..
therube

Post by therube »

I ran this program sandboxed (SANDBOXIE) & doing so may very well have skewed the results I obtain, & so my observations.

---

Not a MFT searcher (I don't believe).

Looked interesting: neoSearch.

"Indexing" was fairly quick.
BUT, what it indexes is only a very small subset of what is "there" (& so it wasn't turning up much in the way of results either!).

So it asks if you want to do a "full" index (which I believe is still limited).
I say, Yes.
Suffice to say, that once its' index file (nsraw.dat) grew to 191 MB (& still growing with no end in sight), I killed the program.

So I really don't know how well (or not) the program may perform.

db looks to be unicode file.

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu
Programs
dir
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs
Accessories
dir
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories
Accessibility
dir
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility\Magnifier.lnk
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility
Magnifier.lnk
lnk
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility\Narrator.lnk
Narrator.lnk
lnk
C:\Documents and Settings\STEVENXP30\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Accessibility\On-Screen Keyboard.lnk
On-Screen Keyboard.lnk
lnk
2 ...
Appears that when indexing my sandbox it was being thrown into a loop. Let me see if I can exclude that ...
Excluded. Though I still don't have the patience. And the db was still getting hefty. Doesn't help that I (inadvertently) clicked the Index button which caused indexing to stop. Clicking it again started it anew :o.

Alright, never say never. I give it another shot ... 300 MB & counting ... still no end in sight. Click 'Index' - which I now know is going to stop the index - but I hope will retain this (temporary) "nsraw.dat" file, but it does not :x!

Now I'm done.
XtremeMaC

Post by XtremeMaC »

i don't think u really need to sandbox this software. just copy the folder to your usb and start it from there. i'd say it leaves very little trace..
also sandboxie imho is pretty flawed. couple of my installs just failed. use vmware + thinapp
MIKEBEE

Post by MIKEBEE »

I know it´s an old post, but - just in case someone has same error as therube and myself (indexing never stops till your hard drive is full):

1) open file C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\KoshyJohn.com\neoSearch\temp\nsraw.dat
2) scroll down till you see a folder name like: c:\abc\.\.\.\.\.\.
3) go to c:\abc
4) search for characters like ´#´ or ´~´ or ´- ABC -´ or other unusal characters in filename and rename those files or folders

Do step 1 to 4 till you eliminated each strange character.

Otherwise you are in a loop and indexing will never end...