Everything Portable at PortableApps.com

Plug-in and third party software discussion.
Voltron43

Everything Portable at PortableApps.com

Post by Voltron43 »

I love using Everything so much that I took the portable version and created an PAF installer that is supported by PortableApps.com.

The post can be found here.

Download
EverythingPortable_1.2_Dev_Test_1.paf.exe
EverythingPortable_1.2_Dev_Test_1.paf.src.zip

Edit: I moved the post to a different location in the PA forum so the link changed. Thanks therube.
Last edited by Voltron43 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
therube

Re: Everything Portable at PortableApps.com

Post by therube »

Corrected (revised/new?) URL: http://portableapps.com/node/21230

Not familiar with a "paf", so don't know what that does.

Is Everything portable in & of itself, already? Not sure, but possibly.
ZIP version is available. Only thing I'm seeing in the Windows Registry deals with Open With items.

System modifications
Everything writes to the registry if the following options are enabled: ...

(don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud)
David
Developer

Post by David »

The portable version will not write to the registry or system folders, unless you tell it to do so from the options window in the general tab.
  • Start "Everything" on system startup - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\Everything
  • Show shell context menus - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\Search Everything...
  • Show Start menu shortcuts - C:\Documents and Settings\username\Start Menu\Programs\Everything or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Everything
  • Desktop shortcut - C:\Documents and Settings\username\desktop\Search Everything....lnk
  • Quick launch shortcut - C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Search Everything....lnk
Please note all these options are disabled by default in the portable version.

You might like to create the Everything.ini in the same location as the Everything.exe file and change the database location to avoid overwriting databases.
To change the database location add the following line to the end of the ini file:

Code: Select all

db_location=c:\
Other ini settings:
http://support.voidtools.com/everything/Ini

Command line options:
http://support.voidtools.com/everything ... ne_options
Voltron43

Post by Voltron43 »

Would it be possible to add a command line option for starting the db in a different location?
foraminut

Post by foraminut »

Hello,
Would the portable option be the way I might use Everything on a USB-connected flash drive (Passport)? Most of my music/video/image files and software are not on the C:/D: drive (one partitioned HD), but are on G: (the Passport). I'd acquired the Everything app intending primarily to use it for that drive, as C:\ is Windows Vista 64 Home Premium program files and D: (the remaining HD partition) is data.
Thanks!
foraminut
Voltron43

Post by Voltron43 »

foraminut wrote:Hello,
Would the portable option be the way I might use Everything on a USB-connected flash drive (Passport)?
I believe your Passport will have to be formated as NTFS. See voidtools FAQ.
David
Developer

Post by David »

Would it be possible to add a command line option for starting the db in a different location?
Added to my "Things to do" List.

You might be interested in running Multiple instances of "Everything"...
See http://support.voidtools.com/Everything ... _instances for more information.
Please note there is a small memory overhead for each instance (about 3-5mb).
Would the portable option be the way I might use Everything on a USB-connected flash drive (Passport)? Most of my music/video/image files and software are not on the C:/D: drive (one partitioned HD), but are on G: (the Passport).
Make sure the G: is a NTFS volume.
Use the portable version, Once you run "Everything", it will index all volumes, you will have to open the Option window and exclude the c: and d: drive from the Volumes tab.
Voltron43

Post by Voltron43 »

David wrote:
Added to my "Things to do" List.
Looking forward to it!

One last question, if a database file was created for one computer, and then that same database file was used on another, would it corrupt the database file in anyway? I'm trying to see if I should delete the already existing database files if Everything Portable is being used on another computer.

Let me know your thoughts on it.
David
Developer

Post by David »

One last question, if a database file was created for one computer, and then that same database file was used on another, would it corrupt the database file in anyway?
"Everything" checks the volumes serial numbers.
If the serial numbers differ, "Everything" will rebuild the database, there will be database corruption.

You might be interested in the follow version of "Everything" that has updating disabled:
Option to freeze database
This version allows you to use the Everything.db from any computer.
"Everything" will ignore the volume serial numbers and never delete, or update the database.
If you use this version you will have to manually delete the Everything.db to update it.

> I'm trying to see if I should delete the already existing database files if Everything Portable is being used on another computer.
There is no need as "Everything" will do this automatically.

I have plans to add support for external file lists, you will be able to include other Everything.db's with this.
You will also be able to build Everything.dbs for FAT volumes, CDRoms, DVDs, Network drives etc...
You might have noticed the empty List tab in the alpha version...
David
Developer

Post by David »

I am considering changing the database filename to:
Everything.ComputerName.UserName.db
Carraway

Post by Carraway »

David wrote:I am considering changing the database filename to:
Everything.ComputerName.UserName.db
Anecdotal evidence, but as someone who uses a synced folder with your portable version of everything.exe across multiple computers, this would be a good thing.
foraminut

Post by foraminut »

Thanks, both of you who responded. I had read the FAQ, but fell into a giant abyss in my brain when it came to the notes on FAT vs NTFS...using the convert cmd, I converted the USB drive to an NTFS drive. Everything finds it fine...in the process of conversion, though, all of the (many gigs) of files now no longer have filenames, but are numeric. :( Have to do so research to figure that out.
But, thanks for your help with this prog.
Voltron43

Post by Voltron43 »

foraminut wrote:Everything finds it fine...in the process of conversion, though, all of the (many gigs) of files now no longer have filenames, but are numeric.
I'd recommend backing up and reformatting the USB Flash drive before conversion. It's always best to start fresh!
foraminut

Post by foraminut »

Thanks for the reminder :) Interestingly, the filename list in Windows Explorer contains filenames with their proper alpha, only the filenames in Everything is numeric. Hmmm...no big deal, I suppose.
Boofo

Post by Boofo »

foraminut wrote:Thanks, both of you who responded. I had read the FAQ, but fell into a giant abyss in my brain when it came to the notes on FAT vs NTFS...using the convert cmd, I converted the USB drive to an NTFS drive. Everything finds it fine...in the process of conversion, though, all of the (many gigs) of files now no longer have filenames, but are numeric. :( Have to do so research to figure that out.
But, thanks for your help with this prog.
The only downside with formatting the drive to NTFS is it slows down the read speed dramatically.
RoninV

Index creation seems misplaced

Post by RoninV »

This thread is a year old, but I thought it best to continue here than start a new one on the same topic (kind of). As a portable app, the creation of indexes, as a requirement for Everything "do it's thing" successfully, seems odd? As a file/folder name (only) search tool, how does that work if it is used on multiple computers?
paul.winterburn

Post by paul.winterburn »

Thank you for the read only version, its a very useful feature.

I've tried using this version against a database file and can see the contents, but there is no search window available. Is this by design?